4th Of July Special

Courtney hummed a little as she sat in one of the many lawn chairs in her back yard. The smell of Duncan cooking burgers on the grill hitting her nose. She heard a giggle and looked over and smiled as their children played in the pool. Splashing each other with the water. 

Smiling to herself, she looked back at her husband and thought back to this very same day almost 10 years ago. The day that started it all.

 ~~~~~~~

July 4th, 2010

"No! I am not throwing a party tonight. My parents would kill me!" 16-year-old Courtney shouted at her friend's ridiculous idea. Bridgette sighed

"But Court, your house is the only one on the block that has that big of a pool!" Bridgette said, Courtney shook her head and crossed her arms

"What makes you think anyone would even show up?" Courtney asked. Bridgette rolled her eyes

"Court, it's the 4th of July. If there's beer and a pool, people will show up. Plus, I could get Geoff to tweet about it!" Bridgette said, reaching for her phone.

"No!" Courtney gasped, stopping her. "I don't want this to turn into a whole huge thing. Inner circle only. That's you, Geoff, Gwen, Trent, and-"

"Duncan," Bridgette said, wiggling her eyebrows. Courtney huffed

"For the last time, it'll never happen! He's-"

"Disgusting, an ogre, a Neanderthal. Yeah, yeah I've heard it all. He's totally into you,"

Ignoring her statement, Courtney dropped her hand

"So is that a yes?" Bridgette asked, Courtney sighed

"Inner circle only?" 

"Inner circle only," Bridgette nodded. Courtney shrugged and mumbled

"I'll unlock the liquor cabinet," she sighed. 

2 hours later, Courtney's backyard and house was filled to the brim with strangers and other classmates from school. Loud music played from the outside speakers, people jumping into the pool and drinking. 

"No!" Courtney yelled, running up and grabbing a drunk guy from jumping out of her window and into the pool. 

He stumbled as she pulled him out and back downstairs 

"Bridgette!" Courtney fumed, pushing past people to find her blonde friend. 

Bridgette was playing a round of beer pong when Courtney grabbed her by the shoulder and yanked her to the side. Bridgette stumbled a little, already tipsy. 

"What the hell Bridgette! I thought we agreed to inner circle only," 

"Yeah... And then Geoff invited his inner circle, Gwen invited theirs..." Bridgette giggled, hiccupping a little. Courtney sighed and rubbed her temples. 

A couple people cheering got her attention, and she looked over as she saw Duncan walk in through the back gate. Wearing a black t-shirt and a pair of red swim trunks. He was carrying a box of something on his hip.

Courtney narrowed her eyes and turned and walked in that direction. Following him inside. 

"And what might you be up to?" she questioned. He turned and looked at her, and smirked

"Princess knows how to party! I'm impressed!" He chuckled. 

"My name is Courtney. What do you have?" she asked, reaching for the box. He quickly pulled it away. 

"It's a surprise," Duncan said. She glared at him

Duncan sighed "Fine. They're fireworks," he said, showing her the box filled with all sorts of explosives. 

"Hell no! You're not launching off fireworks In my back yard. You're not a trained professional," she said, shaking her head. Duncan laughed

"How trained do you have to be to light one on fire and run?" he said. "Come on Courtney. It's the 4th of July! We gotta have fireworks," he begged. 

"Oh come on Mocha, let the man play with his toys," Geoff chimed in, seemingly out of no where. Courtney crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Fine. But if you burn my house down I am so suing you," she hissed. 

Duncan and Geoff high fived and ran outside, going to set up their display. 

Courtney sighed and stood next to Duncan as he gathered the crowd to see the show

"Happy 4th of July Fuckers!" Duncan said, lighting off the first firework.

Courtney nervously bit her nails as she watched the wick burn "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Courtney yelled at Duncan over the sound of the sparks. 

Just then Courtney watched in horror as the firework tipped over, aiming straight for Duncan

"Duncan!" Courtney yelped, just as the firework exploded and hit Duncan.

Right between the legs.

Duncan let out a groan in agony and clutched his crotch, falling to his knees as he teared up.

"Can't even... bend over," he croaked. 

Courtney hid her laughs behind her hand as she called 911. 

They had spent that 4th of July in the hospital. Duncan needing X-rays to make sure nothing was... Broken. 

Duncan was released with some serious bruising and an icepack for his little friend. 

Courtney didn't leave his side all night, mostly just to laugh at him for his stupidity. 

~~~~~~~

Coming back to the present, Courtney chuckled to herself as she remembered that night. It might not have been the perfect 4th of July, but it was the 4th of July that led to her perfect life.

"Dinner is ready!" Duncan called to her and the kids. Courtney smiled and walked over sitting next to her husband as the kids found their own seat. 

As they settled in for dinner, Duncan looked up and nodded his head

"Look,' he said. Courtney looked to see the sky above them lighting up with different fireworks. Casting beautiful sparks through the clouds. 

"Happy 4th of July," Duncan whispered to her, nudging her shoulder gently.

Courtney kissed his cheek "Happy 4th of July,"