A Cigarette Break

(A/N- this is a continuation of my other chapter 'like we used to')

Duncan laughed as he watched Geoff try-unsuccessfully- to open a bottle of champagne without the bubbly liquid exploding everywhere. Gwen was sitting next to him at their main table, still looking gorgeous in her short wedding dress. Duncan slowly smiled at her and gave her thigh a little squeeze

"I'm gonna take a smoke break, I'll be right back Wifey," he teased. Gwen chuckled and kissed him gently as he stood up and walked towards the outside gazebo. Opening the heavy set doors, Duncan listened as the noise from the reception hall grew quieter and quieter as he walked down the stone path and towards the beautifully lit up gazebo by the lake. He reached down and dug around in his pocket, pulling out his almost empty pack of cigarettes. 

Duncan had just lit his cigarette when his teal eyes noticed someone else was already sitting in the gazebo. Their back was turned to him, but he could tell who it was the moment he looked. Duncan could recognize that beautiful tan skin and dark brown hair anywhere.

It was Courtney, and she was sitting all alone. Still wearing her elegant lilac purple cocktail dress. Her hair was down around her shoulders, the soft brown locks shining in the gazebo lighting. 

Duncan looked around, everyone was inside the reception hall. She was all alone out here. He swallowed hard and thought about turning back and going inside, but as he moved to turn, a strange feeling stopped him in his tracks. Making him turn around and slowly begin walking towards the gazebo. As Duncan placed a hand on the wooden railing and ascended the steps, she came into better view. Her head was turned towards the lake. Her dark eyes watching the gentle waves crash into the shore. The wind was gently blowing her hair back from her face, and as the moon shined on her face, Duncan noticed her cheeks were wet. 

Duncan flicked his cigarette as he brought it to his mouth. "It's a little chilly out here, ain't it?" 

Upon hearing his voice, he watched her jump slightly. Her eyes leaving the lake and slowly looked at him. Duncan felt his chest condense as she looked into his eyes. Like she had so many times before. 

"Uh, yeah... But I kinda like it," she mumbled. Her voice barely audible. Duncan nodded a little and he saw her eyes watch his hand as it brought his cigarette to his lips, taking a puff. 

"You really shouldn't smoke. It's bad for you. But I've been telling you that for as long as I've known you," Courtney said. Duncan smirked a little and shrugged

"You should know I'm not good at following orders," he said. Courtney slowly nodded a little and looked back out at the water

"Yeah," she whispered "I do know," 

Duncan slowly looked at the ground. And scratched the back of his head with his free hand, not knowing what to really say to her.

Which was heartbreaking. Because he used to always knew exactly what to say. 

"Congratulations, by the way," Courtney said. Duncan looked at her, she was completely facing him now. He tried to ignore the goosebumps on her legs. "I don't think I've said that yet,"

"Yeah well, thanks," he said awkwardly. "To be honest, I'm surprised you actually came,"

Courtney blinked a little, and her eyes slowly drifted to the gazebo floor. "I didn't think I was going to... But, something in me made me change my mind," she whispered. Duncan flicked his cigarette again and walked over to her, sitting next to her. It felt strange. Awkward. But both of them ignored it. 

"I guess a big part of me wanted to see if it was true... That this was really happening." Courtney whispered. Duncan continued to listen to her talk as he smoked his cigarette. He didn't need to look at her as she spoke. He knew the way her lips looked when she talked. Knew the way her face changed expression. He knew her so well. So well.