when the party's over

(A/N- this chapter is a continuation of the recent chapter 'bad guy' this chapter contains themes and scenes depicting an abusive relationship and some readers might find it disturbing. Reader discretion is advised. Some scenes are inspired by the incredible HBO series "Euphoria")

"How did you get those bruises on your neck? Courtney Marie Taint, you tell me right now!"

Courtney angrily marched up the stairs of her house, her Mother's worried and angry voice booming behind her, practically making the walls shake. 

"I've told you how! I fell!" Courtney screamed back, opening her bedroom door and turning around to face her Mother, who was now right behind her. 

"You fell? On to your neck? Courtney I swear to God! I'll kill that boy!" Her Mother yelled back. Courtney teared up and threw her hands up into the air

"He didn't do it! Duncan would never hurt me!" Courtney yelled back. 

"You had a black eye last month too! You tried to hide it, I saw you putting on the make up! Courtney I'm trying to help you, that boy cannot do this to you and get away with it!" her mother begun to also tear up now, worry for her only child's well-being nagging it's way up her throat. Making her physically sick. The idea of her baby getting pumbled by a man was keeping her up at night. Haunting her. 

Courtney rolled her eyes and shook her head "I don't even know why I came home for Thanksgiving. You always lecture me! Duncan did nothing! He loves me!" 

"A man who can be okay with punching you in the face isn't a man who loves you. What if one day he goes too far and you end up dead! I'm terrified I'm going to get a call one night from the police who have found your body! Don't you understand how scared I am? I am your Mother, I'll always protect you," Courtney's Mother reached up, grabbing her daughter's shoulders and looked into Courtney's eyes. Courtney felt her heart break at the sight of the worry and heartbreak showing behind her Mother's dark eyes. "Courtney, please. Tell me the truth. I love you so much and can't lose you. I can help you. You just have to tell me the truth,"

He hurts me. 

He abuses me. 

He's going to kill me one day.

"He loves me," Courtney said, her voice shaking as she pulled away from her mother and slammed her bedroom door in her face. Courtney leaned her forehead against the wood and let out a strangled sob. Covering her mouth she slid down onto the floor and pulled her knees to her chest. 

He loves me. 

He says he does. 

"How'd your trip home go?" Duncan asked, gently pushing the hair out of Courtney's face as she laid on his chest, back at her dorm. Courtney was staring at the wall, her eyes unable to look into his. 

"She asked me about the bruises on my neck," Courtney said, her voice barely above a whisper. She felt Duncan stiffen, as he reached down and grabbed her arm roughly

"What did you say?" he asked. His voice cutting through her like a blade. Courtney wanted to scream and cry, but she remained calm. She knew better than to make him mad by now. 

"I told her the truth. That you would never hurt me on purpose and that you love me," she said. She felt him relax, his grip slowly letting go. Courtney took this moment to look up at him, pain hidden in her eyes. Emotionally and physically. 

"you... You do love me right?" she whispered. Duncan's face softened. The lion being tamed for the time being. He gently gripped her chin and kissed her lips