Familiar Taste of Poison

"Drink the wine,

My darling you said, 

Take your time,

And consume all of it,

But the roses, were only to drain my inspiration,

The promises, whispered before they left your lips and, 

I breathe you in again, 

Just to feel you,

Underneath my skin,

I'm holding on to,

The sweet escape

That Is always laced with a,

Familiar taste of poison,"

"I love you,"

Liar

Courtney smiled at him as he slowly pulled his jeans on, as she sat up in their bed. 

"I love you too," she whispered back. Duncan sent her a smirk as he pulled his shirt over his head. 

"Where are you going off too so quickly?" she asked, although... She already knew the answer. 

"Oh, Geoff is having this poker game at his place tonight. I said I'd stop by. I'll be back soon,"

Liar... You won't be back until 3am. I'll be awake. Staring at the dark window, waiting for you to show up. 

"Oh. Okay. Have fun," she said, her voice barely breaking. 

Duncan kissed her head and she watched him go, the bedroom door shutting. The sound echoing through out the empty house. 

Courtney stayed in that position for what felt like hours. Tears constantly threatening to spill over. But they never did. 

Maybe she had just gotten a bit used to this. 

They had been married for over 5 years. 5 amazing, incredible, loving years. That now all seemed to have passed in such a blur. 

Slowly letting out a shaky breath, she looked down at the wedding band on her left hand. It's golden tint shining in her dark teary eyes. 

"I don't even know who you are anymore," she whispered, as a single tear dripped down her cheeks 

"I tell myself,

That you're no good for me,

I wish you well, 

But desire never leaves,"

"Courtney, baby don't do this.." Duncan pleaded, as he watched his wife throw her things into suitcases. Courtney couldn't look at him, couldn't stare at his eyes. 

"Duncan... Please stop. I have to. I can't do this anymore," she croaked. Duncan came over and gripped her cheeks, making her look him in the eyes 

"I'm so sorry.... It'll never happen again. It was a moment of weakness-"

"That lasted for weeks," she snapped, pulling away from him and continuing to pack. Duncan cursed 

"Courtney, what about the kids-"

"Exactly!" she yelled, facing him. Her eyes filled with heartbroken tears "What about the kids? Didn't you for once... Think of them? How this could hurt them? How could you?"

Duncan looked down, and let out a long breath "I was selfish. I put my needs before yours and-"

"Duncan," she sobbed. " I don't know what hurts the most. The fact that you betrayed me.. Or the fact that I looked you in the eyes and told you I loved you. The fact that... You knew I loved you. So much. And you still did this to me," 

Duncan covered his eyes "I know! I was an idiot. I'm so sorry baby.." he came over again "Please... Please forgive me.." he pleaded. 

"I could fight this 'till the end,

But maybe I don't wanna win,"

"Okay..." she whispered, feeling utterly defeated 

Duncan smiled and hugged her close, she kept her eyes staring straight a head at the plain white wall of their bedroom, feeling her insides turn to mush. She was so devastated. She was so weak. She was tired of trying. 

"It'll never happen again Princess, I swear. I love you so much," he whispered as he caressed her head. 

Liar 

Courtney's eyes closed, and he felt her hot tears on his shoulder. He smiled more 

"Oh baby. Don't cry. Duncan's got you."

But she wasn't crying in relief. 

She was crying for herself. She was crying for allowing herself to be put through this. No matter how many times he fucked up, no matter how many times he broke her heart.... She couldn't walk away. He was a drug.  

"So I breathe you in again, 

Just to feel you,

Underneath my skin,

Holding on to,

The sweet escape,

That Is always laced with a

Familiar taste of poison,"

Courtney's eyes slowly opened, she was laying on her side in hers and Duncan's bed. She stared at the wall as she felt him get up. The bed shaking slightly. 

She heard his phone vibrate, and she could picture the smirk at his lips. 

She heard him get dressed, lacing up his shoes. Before slowly sneaking out of the bedroom. Closing the door behind him. 

Courtney slowly sat up, and stared at his empty space in the bed. She heard him get into his car and drive away down the road. 

Courtney slowly reached over and touched his warm pillow. Slowly grabbing it and hugging it close. Breathing in the scent of his shampoo, and hiding her face into it. 

She knew where he was. 

She knew every time. 

Every time he came home with swollen lips, scratches on his back. 

Every time he refused to hug her until he took a shower. 

Every time she let him right back into bed with her. 

Courtney sobbed. 

She was heartbroken. 

She was hurt. 

She was devastated. 

But mostly, she was angry. Angry at herself. Angry that she kept letting herself go through this. 

She loved him. 

He was her whole world. 

So she kept letting it happen. Kept letting herself be torn apart by him. 

Because being in constant pain, was better than not having him in her life at all. He was her poison that she swallowed with regret. Every day. Every night. 

And she hated herself for it. 

(Song- "Familiar Taste of Poison" from Halestorm. ABSOLUTELY incredible. I highly recommend)