Stupid Contracts

I wish I had never signed up for this show

Courtney hugged her knees a little closer to herself as she stared up at the beautiful Greece sunset. Chris had decided to take a short break before departing off for their next adventure and Courtney was glad. There was no way she was anywhere near ready to get back on that plane with... Those two. Being anywhere near them made her skin crawl. Especially being stuck in a plane for 12 hours with nowhere to escape. 

I should have just left him in London

Courtney swallowed hard and closed her eyes, refusing to cry anymore tears over that jerk. She was mentally beating herself up for not figuring this out earlier. She should have known something was going on between them, when she caught their secret smiles. Their shared stares. Courtney should have noticed that those eyes Duncan gave Gwen were the exact same ones he used to give her.

The worst part? Was that she had been stupid enough to trust him. She had been so naive about the whole thing, thinking she was overreacting. That what she thought she saw wasn't really there. But she had been right all along. She had put her all in this guy. She had fought with her parents endlessly about how he was a good guy. That just because he had a record doesn't mean he isn't a good person. 

She could only imagine their faces when they watched this episode. The way their voices would sound when they said "I told you so" 

"Court?" a voice called her name from behind her. Courtney quickly wiped away her tears and cleared her throat

"What do you want, Heather?" she mumbled. She heard Heather walk over to stand beside her. And watched the gorgeous girl slowly take a seat next to her on the grass. Stretching her long elegant legs out in front of her.

"Call me a sap, but I actually wanted to see how you were doing," Heather said, with a shrug. Courtney shot her a glare

"Oh gee, I just found out the love of my life cheated on me with someone I called a friend. I'm doing just peachy. Thanks for asking," Courtney snapped. She may have been gullible to believe Duncan had actually cared for her. But there was no way in hell she was going to believe Heather was actually showing some empathy. 

"Don't do that," Heather snapped back. Courtney looked at her, confused. Heather sighed and looked at the shorter girl "Don't do that typical Courtney thing where you hide all your emotions with anger. You're not angry at me, you're angry with those two. I'm here actually worried about  you. I'm not being deceiving. I have no underlining plan here. This is between us, no one else. No one else is even out here. So Courtney, pull your head out of your ass and realize that you actually do still have people on this show who care about you," 

Courtney blinked a little, startled by Heather's sudden show of emotion. But, ever so slowly, her words sunk in. And Courtney felt that wall she spent so long building up crumble down. Tears sprang into her eyes, and her body began to shake with sobs

"I.. Just.. Loved... Him.. So.. M-much," she sobbed. Heather gave her a sad look and pulled the other girl into her arms. Hugging her close as Courtney's body shook with sobs

"I.. Trusted.. Her. And she.. R-ruined it," Courtney continued to stutter as she cried, but Heather listened the whole time. Mentally picturing shoving Gwen out the side of the plane. Without a parachute. 

"I'm here. Shh, I'm here," Heather soothed Courtney's hair back. And Courtney let her. This was completely outside of the box for Heather, but Courtney was weak right now. She needed all the strength she could muster if she was going to deal with another plane ride with Gwen and Duncan. 

And Heather lived up to her words. The two sat at the edge of that cliff for a good 3 hours. Heather listening to Courtney's heartbroken words, and giving her support when she knew she needed it. Courtney decided she liked this side of Heather, the side she showed with no cameras around. The side she kept locked away. This was the Heather Courtney could see as a close friend in the future. 

"I just wish..." Courtney sighed, coming back to the present out of her thoughts "That I had never signed up for this show. I wish I could go back to that day Chris had me sign the contract and run out of the room as fast as I could," 

Heather nodded, with a sad smile "I'm sure we've all wished that a few times in the past,"

.........................

Mrs. Taint? Um... Mrs. Taint?

16-year-old Courtney Taint blinked a little, as her eyes slowly refocused on the handsome man in front of her, holding a pen and a piece of paper.

"Sorry, uh.. What did you say?" she asked. The man chuckled

"I asked if you were sure if you wanted to sign up for Total Drama Island," he said. Courtney blinked again and smiled slowly 

"Oh yes, I'm sure," she said. Courtney watched as her soon to be host, Chris McLean slid the pen and contract across his desk over to her. Courtney read the first few words

Total Drama Island

Courtney slowly grabbed the pen and signed her name in the correct spot. Smiling at Chris as she handed him back the papers. She hoped she didn't just make the worst mistake of her life..

"Thank you, Courtney.  You will love being a castmember on Total Drama Island," Chris said, flashing her his signature smile. Courtney smiled back

"Oh yes," Courtney said "I'm sure I will,"