Terrible Things

"By the time I was your age,

 I'd give anything, 

to fall in love truly was all I could think,

That's when I met your mother,

 the girl of my dreams,

the most beautiful woman that I'd ever seen, 

she said 'boy can I tell you a wonderful thing?

 I can't help but notice you're staring at me, 

I know I shouldn't say this, but I really believe, 

that I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me,'

 now son, I'm only telling you this,

 because life can do terrible things,"

Duncan sighed as he flipped open an old photo album that he kept secure under his bed. His eyes stared at the many different pictures. All of the past. His eyes began lining with tears, as his fingers brushed over the pictures of a gorgeous middle-aged brunette. Her dark hair pulled back behind her ears, her onyx eyes shinning into the camera. Her lips turned upward in a smile, looking at whoever was behind the camera. 

"Princess," Duncan whispered quietly, as he ran his fingertips across her forehead. His voice caught in his throat, and he swallowed back the tears that were coming fast. He couldn't have another break down today. He needed to be strong, he knew she wouldn't want to see him like this. Even now that she was gone. 

It had been leukemia. It had gone completely undetected until one day, Courtney had complained of feeling ill. Seemingly out of no where, she took the day off of work, assuring him she'd bounce right back like normal.

But she didn't. A week passed and she hadn't gotten any better, worse even. Her skin had begun going pale, and she was complaining of having hot flashes. Duncan decided to take her to their family doctor, expecting him to come back with news that she had the flu. Or some sort of virus that would work its way out of her. 

But the second the doctor reentered the room after the tests, the look on his face said it all. He looked at Courtney with pity, and explained to them that she had gotten leukemia. Stage 4. The news rocked their world, Courtney broke down and began crying on the examination table. While Duncan just stared at the wall, completely numb. Not willing to accept the fact that the love of his life was dying. He had to stay strong for Courtney, and their 10 year old son, Gabe. He didn't expect to drive home without her that day. Or the fact that she had to stay in the hospital while her trial began. Duncan hadn't expect her to be sick. Let alone have about 5 months left to live at the most. 

Duncan blinked hard, as he felt a new set of tears drip from his eyes, he flipped the page to see the photos of their wedding. It seemed like so long ago, all of them smiling, all of them happy, all of them still alive. He ached to go back to that day. He would give anything in the world to see her again. Hear her soft voice whisper in his ear as he woke up for the day. Smell her scent as she rolled over in bed next to him. Feel her warmth on those cold winter nights when it seemed like the bitter winter air was sent on a mission to make his nights miserable. 

It wasn't just winter nights that were miserable. It was all nights. When he had to sleep alone in their bed, not be able to reach over and feel Courtney's warm body sleeping soundly next to him. It was miserable during the day when he'd go downstairs and not see her in the kitchen making breakfast for him and Gabe. It was miserable when he'd go to work without a kiss goodbye, or a kiss hello when he'd return.