Love Problem (9)

Dear BAM, earlier I had stumbled across your advice books, and have finally decided that I do, in fact, need help. I have a guy friend that goes by the name of George, and I've been trying to figure out my feelings towards him. Every summer I leave for months, and when I come back he almost always changes (not in a bad way). Before I left this summer I was sure that I might have even loved him, as crazy as it sounds. We had known each other for almost six years, and had spent a lot of time together at church, since that's where I know him from. My heart would hammer in my chest, and I'm pretty sure that I was constantly blushing whenever he would look me in the eyes. To make matters worse for me, he has a British accent -.- He was always on my mind, and I could only think good things of him. Things starting going downhill when I went to visit my father for the first time in Washington state. I did some things that I'm not particularly proud of up there, though it was nothing major. I suppose you could call me a goody two shoes or whatever.When I got back, he was taller, his voice was deeper, and he was more outgoing. It was a shock to me because I was so used to seeing him at my height, shy and reserved. Because of what happened, I had become insecure and quite socially awkward.  Now at youth he and one of my friends who like him have to drag me places to socialize with them. But that's not what I need help with. He has a new neighbor, who's a girl (even though I'm not going after him because my friend likes him, plus I think it would be stupid for my age) and her name is Sarah. She's everything that I'm not; tall, out there, and socializes really well. I guess you could say that I'm funny, but I've never really shown my true self to the people at church. Now she hangs out with my friends all of the time, and I'm really trying to be nice and such because I know she isn't trying to take them from me. I just feel that George and I will drift apart because something Like this has already happened. Yet, at the same time, I don't really want to change for a boy, especially if we aren't even together. I don't know what to do.

-discombobulated

______________

Dear discombobulated,

Well firstly, it's easy to get insecure and start hiding behind curtains when the guy you like starts acting more differently in a good way and then another girl comes into the picture but honestly if this guy lets say actually likes you then he wouldn't care about all that because he likes you for you, you know? But yeah, you don't have to change, at all. You have been friends with this guy for a long time, don't let your feelings get in the way from your guys friendship because that is what will make you drift apart from him. Keep in mind he's still trying to get you to hang out with him and isn't trying to change you at all. No one is asking you to change. Just because some girl has more than you think you have doesn't really mean she has everything he's looking for. What I'd do is focus on showing who you really are and loving yourself enough to go out into this world and not feeling like you need to change for anyone. Because the ones who love you, will love you for you. 

BAM