48 (Court Day)

Kara’s P.O.V.

Next week at court:

Today was the court hearing and I did not want to go. I was showing more belly than before so Kevin was definitely gonna notice. I was nervous being there again, it brought back too many memories.

“Ms. Flux, I thought I said I didn’t want to see you here again” it was the same judge that took my case.

“Um, yes ma’am” I say standing “It’s not--- I’m not here for me. I mean, I’m not being accused for anything”

“All right then. Bring me the first case” she tells the bailiff. She starts to read the papers and photos, they take Kevin out of a room. “Quite some work you did here Mr. Santos. How do you plead?”

“Guilty your honor” his lawyer said.

“All right, is there anything anyone would like to say for the record?”

“Yes” Kevin said and he turned to me, I was sitting down so he didn’t notice the belly “I’m sorry, I don’t know what I was thinking… I’m sorry” I look away.

“It was your child Ms. Flux?” the judge asks and I nod “Come here” shit! If I got up he was definitely gonna notice. Well here goes nothing I stand up and go to her.

“You’re pregnant?” Kevin asks I ignore him and keep walking.

“Are you okay?” she asks in a low tone

“Yes”

“Did he hit you?”

“No, ma’am”

“Okay, and this child is it his?” she points at the belly

“No” I was nervous

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah… we used protection when we…”

“Still, condoms are not 100% effective”

“Yes, ma’am”

“You should check that out as soon as he’s born” I nod “And you’re sure he hasn’t been violent before?”

“I’m sure”

“Okay, you can go sit down” I go back to the bench “All right then, at this being your first offense I will put you on a year probation. You will also attend to anger management classes and you are not to get close the child again. Court is adjourned, next case!” she pounds the gavel.

I was glad he didn’t get prison time, I could live with probation. After that Carlos take me back home. Blake and I decided for him not to go just in case he had an urge to beat him up again.

“Hey” I kiss Blake and sit on the stool

“Hey, so what happened?”

“Probation, for a year”

“Probation?” he asked disappointed with the ruling.

“He also needs to take anger management classes and he can’t get close to Tyler.” He scoffs “Blake, at least it’s something”

“If he ever comes here again---”

“He can’t come here Blake, he can’t get close to Tyler”

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

“What if he gets close to you and tries to do something?”

“I don’t think he’s that kind of guy and I’m with Tyler all the time so…”

“Yeah you didn’t think he was the kind to hit a kid either” his words made me feel bad.