1

It was off season and a couple of friends and I decide to go on vacation. Last year the guys decided so now it’s the girls turn, they choose Puerto Rico. Just as I’m finished packing Deandre arrives and off we are to the airport. It was a 7 hour flight so we decide to stay the rest of the night at the hotel.

___________________________o____________________________

The next day:

“Jeez look at this. More rich famous people coming our way.” I tell my sister Kora.

“Jesus Kara, will you ever get along with someone who’s rich?” she answers.

“Oh, come on. You know it’s frustrating the way the think they deserve everything.”

“So what? They’re just here on vacation. It’s not like they’re going to move next door or run into them. Besides, you know we’re kind of rich, right?”

“Just cause we got a club out of dad’s heritage does not mean we’re rich. We have more debts than money.”

“Don’t forget we got the gym too.”

“Whatever, I’m going to head down to the beach, where’s John?”

“At the bar.”

“Ahh right, the other debt.”

______________________________o_______________________________

I decide to go surf a little before going to work.

“Hey, Kara.”

“Hey, Joe.” Joe was a friend of the family for a long time. “Taking a relaxing break before going in?”

“You know it. The waves look huge today, you better be careful.”

“Yeah, well you know careless me, see ya” I run to the waves with my three colored surfboard, blue on the top, white in the middle and fuchsia at the bottom.

After a while I see a huge wave coming and I decide to ride it. I decision I regret. My ankle rope got caught on the rocks, keeping me underwater for a while. I was desperate to get to the surface but more waves came crashing in making me hit my head with a rock. I feel someone grabbing me, Joe. I was coughing from all the water I swallowed.

“Jesus Christ, Kara. I told you to be careful! We need to take you to a hospital”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Fine? You have blood coming out of your forehead!”

I touched the top of my left eyebrow and there was blood everywhere.

“There’s a first aid kit at the bar. I’ll just go there.”

“Man, when John sees you like this he’s gonna freak out.” He says.

Joe takes me to the bar. And he goes in first.

“Hey, John.” He says in a strange way.

“What’s up?” my brother asks him.

“Nothing. Listen, don’t freak out man.”

“About what?”

I shut the car door and go in. When I get inside I see a group of tourist eating at one of the tables and one of the girls winches at the sight of my bloody forehead. The men look back “Damn!” was all I heard before going to the back.

“What the hell Kara?!” my brother yelled.

“I’m fine.”

“No! You’re not fine! What the hell happened?”