Home

Hold on to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
Although this wave is stringing is along
Just know you're not alone
'Cause I'm gonna make this place your home
--Home, Phillip Phillips

June 22, 2018

Morning came really early, Grayson and Cait both still asleep when the alarm on Cait's phone went off.  At least she'd had the presence of mind to set it, Grayson realized. 

As Cait reached for her phone to shut off the alarm, Grayson managed to open his eyes and look at her.  Damn, she still looked good to him.  He'd told her he'd never get enough of her, but he'd been underselling it. 

But they didn't have time to waste and Cait hopped out of bed.  "I'll get the first shower," she said, leaning down to kiss his forehead.  "You rest."

"We could conserve water," he suggested, his voice a sleepy mumble. 

"Then we'd never be ready on time," she smiled.

It was probably an entirely fair point and Grayson grumbled a bit, but closed his eyes.  It felt like only seconds before she was gently shaking him awake again, softly kissing his cheek.  "C'mon, Baby Boy," she whispered.  "Time to go make a visit to our new home."

That made him smile a bit.  He'd actually been drafted in the first round.  All the dire projections hadn't come true.  He was an NBA player.  And on a team that wanted him, that felt like he could contribute.

The team had decided late last night to hold off on the introductory presser until the following week.  He'd be back in town then for summer league.  But he was still going to make a quick visit today.  He'd have to rub elbows with the front office.  Talk to the coaches.  But then he and Cait would have a little time to think about their new home.  A place they'd get to pick out together.

While Grayson was in the shower, Cait took a few deep breaths.  Last night had been a whirlwind.  The statement from Utah's general manager that they'd immediately been contacted by several teams asking them to trade Grayson's rights had been a bit stunning.  She felt like a trade would have given her whiplash. 

She'd also learned enough to know that Utah would now control Grayson's career for the next six or seven years.  They could trade or keep him, but nothing beyond his first two years would be guaranteed. 

She also spent time convincing herself that she could do this.  She was pretty lousy at just being an accessory and that's what she felt like sometimes right now.  She was just the pretty girl on his arm wearing designer clothes. Today it would be a simple navy Kate Spade day dress.  She'd had a few different outfits ready, depending on where he was drafted.

She reminded herself that Grayson didn't see her as simply a pretty side piece.  He never had.  It didn't matter what the rest of the world saw.  She knew that she was more to him than an attractive decoration.

But for today, that was what she would be.  She would be quiet, which was frankly not usually in her nature.  But Grayson was the center of attention.  This was his moment. 

She took her time getting ready, was carefully applying makeup, when he emerged in just a towel and wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"Thanks for being here with me," he whispered.  "For coming with me today when I know you have finals to study for.  I need you.  And I appreciate you making this trip."

She closed her eyes for a brief second and she let herself melt into his embrace.  "Nowhere I'd rather be, Allen," she finally managed.  "No matter where it is, I'll always choose to be with you."