Golden Girl

You're my golden girl
You're the one I've chosen girl
You're 24K
You make it bright when it's gray
You're my golden girl
——Golden Girl, Frank Ocean

July 27, 2018

"I'm not sure I'm ready for this," Luke sighed out as he and Cait climbed out of the car in front of the bridal salon.

"You're gonna live, Luke," she smirked at him.

"I'm not entirely convinced of that," Luke muttered.

Cait punched his arm lightly.  "Oh, there's Jackie," she smiled and waved at the young woman rushing down the sidewalk toward them.

"Why does she get to come, but Rae, Joan, Sherry and my mother were all insufficient?" Luke frowned.  "Maybe you don't need me-"

"Shut it, Luke," Cait snapped.  "You're doing this and you don't get to whine about it."

"That wasn't the deal," Luke huffed. "I specifically reserved the right to have a bad attitude."

Cait shot him a glare, but before she could respond, Jackie arrived on the scene and Cait made introductions. Jackie immediately explained that she wasn't going to be offering an opinion, much to Luke's dismay.

"I'm not here to weigh in," Jackie said for the third time, as they walked to the door.  "That's all you, Luke.  I just want to get a sense of what Cait's thinking with regard to each of the dresses so that I can start to-"

"Each?!?" Luke stopped in his tracks.  "What is that supposed to mean?"  He spun his head from Jackie to Cait.  "She means your dress and then whatever Rae's gonna wear, right?  Which you can pick out later on, right?"

"Uh, not exactly," Cait murmured.  "I'm actually gonna have two wedding gowns."

"What the fu-" Luke started, but they were walking into the ritzy salon and he managed to stop himself. "Caitlin," he hissed, taking her arm. "Why would you need two gowns? You didn't tell me that."

"Two weddings, two gowns," she shrugged. "And I fail to see how it would have benefited me to volunteer that information. You already have a bad attitude."

"Cait," Luke started. "You keep telling G that it's not two wed-" But she interrupted him.

"Luke, seriously." She glared at him again.  "The church is so small that I have to wear something without much of a skirt or I won't fit down the aisle.  My dress for that needs to be simple.  But I want something a bit more, well, bridal, for the beach wedding and the reception.  Two dresses.  It's not that big a deal, Luke."

"Oh sure," he rolled his eyes at her.  "No big deal." But Cait elbowed him, hard, and he shut up.  At least for the moment.

Before Luke knew what was happening, he was seated in front of a circular platform with a huge three-way mirror.  Cait had been whisked away to be measured.  Jackie had filled the consultant in a bit on the wedding. And Luke was wondering if he could sneak out somehow. 

"Okay, Luke," Lisa, the bridal consultant, turned to him before he could plot an escape. "Cait chose you for a reason.  So what do you want to see her in?"