Unwell

All day staring at the ceiling
Making friends with shadows on my wall
All night hearing voices telling me
That I should get some sleep
Because tomorrow might be good for something
Hold on
Feel like I'm headed for a breakdown
And I don't know why
But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know, right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me

----Unwell, Matchbox Twenty

November 5, 2018

Since Grayson had a game today, Cait was going to work on her corporate giving plan from home.  But around lunchtime, she noticed that her cheeks were flushed and she didn't feel well.  She pushed on, but when Grayson arrived home from his shoot around, he took one look at her and his eyes got wide.  "Are you feeling okay?" he asked quickly.

"No," she mumbled.  She was shivering, in spite of the fact that she had a blanket wrapped around her in her office chair.  "I'm freezing."

Grayson frowned and crossed the room, touching a hand to her head.  "You're burning up.  No more work today.  You need to get to bed," he told her.

"I can't be sick," she protested.  "I have to go to your game tonight."

"You aren't going anywhere tonight," he told her.  "I'll get you some ibuprofen and you're going to bed.  Have you had anything to eat?"

"Wasn't really hungry," she admitted. 

"Okay, but you need to drink plenty of liquids," he pointed out.  "I'll get you something to drink.  Then you'd better try to get a nap and see if you can fight this thing off."

"Don't get too close to me," Cait sighed.  She felt too lousy to argue with him, but she didn't want him to get sick.  She was hoping it wasn't already too late, given that they'd spent a significant chunk of the previous day in bed together, before attending the Real Salt Lake game, which had been just a little chilly.

"I won't," he sighed.  "And I'll wash my hands and be careful.  I'll probably sleep in the guest room.  But you stay right in bed.  If you feel up to it, you can watch the game on the television in the bedroom."

Cait nodded and forced herself into the bedroom, where she put on a pair of pajama bottoms and one of Grayson's sweatshirts and climbed into bed, blowing her stuffy nose as she did so.  She snuggled under the blankets and a few minutes later, Grayson appeared.

"Here." He handed her the pills and a big glass of water.  He also had a glass of juice.  "Drink as much as you can," he told her.  "Do you want some soup?"

Cait shook her head, her teeth chattering.  "I just wanna take a nap," she managed.

Grayson nodded.  "Drink as much as you can and then take your nap," he told her.  "I'm gonna clean the bathroom and the kitchen, to make sure we don't have any of your germs hanging around."

Cait obediently drank the water and a little juice and then she snuggled down into the blankets again.  Grayson carefully kissed her head and then went to go get out the Lysol and the bleach wipes and start wiping down anything he could think of.

*****

Cait woke up to a dim room.  Once her eyes adjusted, she saw that Grayson had left her phone on the nightstand, with a note telling her what time to take more ibuprofen, to drink as much as she could and to keep resting.  He'd left several bottles of water on the nightstand too.