Die A Happy Man

And I know that I can't ever tell you enough
That all I need in this life is your crazy love
If I never get to see the northern lights
Or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night
If all I've got is your hand in my hand
Baby, I could die a happy man
—— Die A Happy Man, Thomas Rhett

May 15, 2019

Cait and Grayson were finally sitting down to write the vows for their beach ceremony.  They'd deferred the night before, deciding to go for a swim and just relax.  Now they recognized that they needed to get down to business.  But it was harder than they thought.

"We've already promised each other this stuff," Grayson said, frowning slightly.  "This should be different."

Cait bit her lip.  "I know what you mean.  Maybe we should look online for suggestions.  If we can get Rae to liberate our phones."

Grayson's frown deepened.  "I don't want to recycle vows.  We should be able to talk to each other without cribbing ideas from someone else."

Cait took out a sheet of paper and tore it in half.  She wrote her name on one half and his on the other and handed him the one with her name on it.  "Just write some ideas.  Not even complete sentences, just whatever comes to mind that you would want to say to me."

Grayson smiled now.  "Did you ever notice that our names have the same number of letters?" he asked.  "Seven."  He got a far away look.  "Seven letters that are the most important thing in my life," he said softly, looking at her name on the paper.

Cait almost melted at that, was fighting tears.  "That sounds like a good place to start," she sniffled.

*****

"Well, you haven't killed each other," Luke smirked later that day. "Do you have vows?"

"Almost," Cait smiled at him. "We decided to leave a couple of things that we'll fill in individually, but we have the framework."

"Sounds complicated," Luke smirked. "Glad we decided to just go with traditional vows."

But after dinner, Cait decided to go finish up her vows.  Rae decided to make use of the soaking tub in the suite she and Luke were staying in.  And that left the boys sitting outside, watching the sun go down. 

Grayson pulled the paper from the pocket of his shorts and studied it.  "I've gotta finish this up," he sighed.  "How do you tell someone that they're the only thing you need in this world?"

"Just like that," Luke said with a wry smile. 

"No," Grayson frowned.  "I'm supposed to come up with a list of stuff that is like for better or worse, but more personal to us.  And I'm having trouble articulating.  Because I want to capture how much she really means to me."

"Are you asking for my help?" Luke asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm desperate, okay?" Grayson snapped.  "I'm not saying any of this will make the cut, but help me brainstorm here.  You've been around for our entire relationship."

"We're gonna need some drinks here," Luke said firmly.

*****