Who Says You Can't Go Home -Part 1

With every step I take, I know that I'm not alone
You take the home from the boy, but not the boy from his home
These are my streets, the only life I've ever known
Who says you can't go home?
There's only one place they call me one of their own
——Who Says You Can't Go Home, Bon Jovi ft. Jennifer Nettles

February 15, 2019

Grayson couldn't help but laugh at Cait. She was sitting in the passenger seat of the Lexus practically bouncing and talking a mile a minute.

"So you're going to take Connor to practice while I'm with Nick. I have to go to the grocery store before that. I have to find time to make a birthday cake. And then-"

"Slow down," Grayson laughed. "Mrs. K is handling the birthday dinner and cake. We're going to Coach's house tonight. And I ordered groceries to be delivered, although you'll probably want to go to the store before we have the team over on Sunday."

"You did all that?" she asked in shock.

"I did it when I was sitting in my hotel room in San Francisco. Because I want you to relax, at least a little," Grayson told her. "I want both of us to do that. That's what we need. This isn't fun if we have to rush around the whole time we're here. I'm supposed to be relaxing and so are you."

She looked over at him.  "Should I not have had Connor stay with us?" she asked.

"Of course he should stay with us," Grayson shook his head at her.  "Just calm down and don't worry about taking care of everything.  Connor just wants to see you.  He doesn't need a seven layer cake or a five course breakfast.  We can go out or get takeout.  And Mrs. K wanted to have dinner for his birthday.  Give your inner control freak a break, okay?  Have you been meditating lately?"

Cait frowned at him. "Not as much. I'm fine, Grayson."

He frowned back. "Make time for it, Cait. It was helping you a lot. Remember how relaxed you were? You need to just calm down. And I know you won't be switching to decaf anytime soon."

"I really hate it when you lecture me," she grumbled. "And you're being a major dork right now."

"Sorry," he smiled and reached over to take her hand. "Let's just enjoy the next few days, okay?"

*****

Their house was just as they'd left it in September and Grayson carried the bags in and they set about removing dust covers from the furniture and putting things in order.

The groceries were delivered and Cait was putting those away when Grayson saw the car pull in the drive. He slid out the door and met Jack, Joan and Connor outside.

"Happy Birthday, pal," Grayson smiled at Connor and gave him a bro hug. He kissed Joan's cheek and shook Jack's hand before he slung an arm around Connor. "You got your bag?" he asked. "Guest room is all ready for you."

"It's in the back," Connor told him.  "Where's Cait?"

"In the kitchen putting groceries away," Grayson told him.  "Go ahead.  I'll get your bag."

Connor didn't wait any longer, just ran into the house.  Jack reached in the back and handed Connor's bag to Grayson.  "You sure you don't mind him staying here?" he asked.