Closer to You

Wanna taste that great wide open freedom
Wanna make the distance razor thin
Wanna feel you feel me feel you breathing
Till we can't tell where you end and where I begin
There's a diamond sky that's waiting for us just outside of town
With the moon hanging, for me and you, baby
We can cut the headlights out when there ain't no one else around
Kill the space in between, slide across that leather seat
Heart to heart, face to face, you know all I wanna do is get closer, closer, closer to you
——Closer to You, Carly Pearce

June 16, 2019

Grayson was happy to go get his short workout out of the way. He was up early, in spite of the wine that had occasioned a lovely evening in bed the night before. He left Cait sleeping and headed to the gym alone. Luke had decreed that there was no reason for him to get up that early.

Grayson used the time to think about the rest of the day. He'd tried to talk Cait into getting married, just the two of them.  But she told him that if two weddings was extra, three was over the top.  He didn't disagree.  He just wanted her to be less stressed. 

Cait would be leaving the next day for Hawaii, off to finalize everything for the wedding. It would only be a couple of days until he was there too. So this was their last opportunity to have any time to just relax and be alone together before they got married.  And he felt like they needed it.

Not that they had any big issues that they needed to work out.  But there were things he wanted to talk to her about.  And he wanted them to be in a really good place before they descended into three days of wedding insanity.

So he got his work done, making sure not to take any shortcuts just because he was anxious for the rest of the day. But he didn't linger.

*****

Cait packed a small bag for their overnight trip and packed everything else to go to Hawaii. She and Grayson would stop here tomorrow and pick up Rae, and all the bags, and head to the airport.

Even she didn't know what Grayson had planned. But she knew he wanted to talk.

On the one hand, that made her a little nervous. But the last few days had made clear that he wasn't dumping her or anything. She'd been impatient, tempted to shake it out of him a few times. But she'd resisted the urge.

That was because the other side of the equation was the fact that Grayson wanting to talk to her felt good. The fact that he wanted an extended and totally private conversation, just the two of them, was rare. And she recognized that he'd probably thought a lot about this, because that was what he usually did. So much went on in that head of his. She was glad that he wanted to share some of it. Unsolicited even.

He'd told her to dress for a hike. And a picnic. So she did. And she realized that she was looking forward to this. In the middle of a thousand other things, time alone was definitely needed.

*****

"What song is it that talks about speeding down the PCH?" Grayson asked with a giggle that afternoon, as he was doing just that.  Cait gave him a quizzical look and he continued.  "You know, we went to the Halsey concert at Red Rocks last summer and she did that song with G-Eazy?"

"Oh, you mean Him & I?" Cait asked. "That was on all the time last summer."

"Is that it?" Grayson asked. "Punch it up on Spotify."