Carolina

She feels like Carolina, looks like California
Shiny like those New York lights on Broadway
When she looks back I'm behind her
I'll always be there for her
She makes me feel like home's not so far away
——Carolina, Parmalee

June 13, 2019

"How much longer until they land?" Grayson asked, for what had to be the fifth time.

"About ten minutes, G," Luke huffed.  "Which is two minutes less than the last time you asked.  Jesus, you're worse than an addict."

Grayson frowned in his direction but resumed pacing the waiting area. "Donovan and Royce are gonna clear out and drive up to Vegas for a couple of days," Luke offered, trying to distract Grayson. "Mostly I think they were worried about all the stuff they heard at the bachelor party about what it's like when you two are together," he smirked.

Grayson wasn't really paying attention, because he saw a plane touching down.  "Is that them?" he asked. 

Luke checked his phone, seeing a text from Rae. "Yes," he nodded. He looked up to see that Grayson practically had his nose pressed to the window.

They waited for the plane to taxi and the door to open. Once it did, Grayson was out on the tarmac, while Luke followed behind.

Cait came down the steps first. She actually looked a little hesitant until her eyes met Grayson's and then she was throwing herself into his arms.

Just like that, all the unease that they'd both been feeling was gone. California suddenly felt like home.

*****

"Jesus Christ," Luke muttered glancing in the rear view mirror.

Rae was in the passenger seat of the SUV and glanced over at him. She met his annoyed expression and tried not to laugh.

There was a major make out session going on in the back seat. At this point, Luke was just hoping that no clothes came off before he could deliver them to the house.

He looked around to make sure there were no other cars near him and glanced over at Rae. "Hold on," he whispered quietly.

Suddenly, he jammed on the brakes and jerked the steering wheel, practically dislodging his two friends from the back seat. "Damn, did you see the size of that thing?" he asked loudly. "What was that? A gopher?"

"A really big gopher," Rae helped out, trying her damnedest not to burst out laughing. "Or whatever. Maybe a hedgehog. Good job to miss it, Lukey."

Grayson was trying to rearrange himself and Cait on the back seat. "Hey G," Luke called out. "What's the difference between a gopher and a hedgehog?"

"How the fuck should I know?" Grayson asked. "I have a degree in psychology not zoology."

"Cait?" Luke asked. "Any clue?"

"Google it if you're so damn curious, Luke," she mumbled, cuddling up to Grayson again. 

"What about groundhogs?" Rae asked helpfully. "Where do they fit in?"

"Who gives a shit?" Grayson muttered, before he resumed kissing his fiancée.

Rae looked over at Luke, who was rolling his eyes.  But as their gaze met, they both tried to hide their laughter.