Good Life

Woke up in London yesterday
Found myself in the city near Piccadilly
Don't really know how I got here
I got some pictures on my phone
New names and numbers that I don't know
Addresses to places like Abbey Road
Day turns to night, night turns to whatever we want
We're young enough to say
Oh, this has gotta be the good life
——Good Life, One Republic

March 27, 2019

It was Cait's turn to wake up and wonder where she was.  It took a few minutes to remember.  And to reorient herself. 

London.  She'd spent most of the day before in the office, which had been a bit disconcerting.

Dameon Roberts had basically condescended to her. Cait knew she didn't know everything, but he'd treated her like a brainless buffoon. Not to mention the fact that she was pretty certain he'd spent more time looking at her chest than at her face. And when they had the team meeting that afternoon, he'd interrupted her and disagreed with her in front of other staff members. Then when she'd gone looking for him afterward, she'd discovered that he'd left early.

She'd spent the night positively stewing about that. And Connor had even asked why she was letting that jerk treat her that way. "Last I knew, you were in charge here," he'd grumbled over dinner. "Dad wouldn't put up with that."

"He wouldn't dare pull that crap on Dad," Cait had sighed. "He thinks he can with me because I'm young. And female."

"Maybe you should remind him that your last name is the one on his paycheck," Connor frowned at her. And Cait had decided that he was right.

But she had to be careful. Roberts was under contract and if she fired him without cause, they'd wind up paying him a pretty penny. She had to make sure she had a good reason if she was going to can his ass.  Or she had to manufacture one.

Nigel Williams had been called away to an emergency on site the day before, so she hadn't been able to meet with him yet. That had been rescheduled for this morning.  And then she had a meeting with the project team that included all of their subcontractors.

She'd stayed up to watch Grayson's game with the Stars, which had come on at midnight.  And she was glad that she had.  The time off had obviously done wonders for Grayson. 

He was absolutely unconscious.  He had 23 points.  In the first half.  And five rebounds, four assists and no turnovers. And he kept his composure even after a couple of hard fouls. 

The second half was a little rougher, although he finished with 37 points in the same number of minutes, was 11-15, including six of eight from deep. He had six rebounds and five assists, but three turnovers and four fouls. It was great to see him knocking down shots, throwing down a dunk and driving the lane for layups. Cait was glad to see him play with so much energy.

Unfortunately, the Stars blew a lead and lost, 118-113. That ended their season, so Cait knew that Grayson would be headed back to Salt Lake City.

Cait had stayed awake to talk to Grayson briefly after the game. "Seems like the time off helped," she offered.

"Well, spending the whole day in bed Saturday didn't hurt," he'd giggled.

"Does that qualify as rest?" she'd asked.

"Relaxation at least," he'd shrugged. "After all, you're my very favorite thing to do, Kitten."