Limitless

Caught in a daydream
Holding onto something
Just beyond our fingertips
Stuck in a feeling
Love the heavy breathing
I can feel it on my lips
Limitless
——Limitless, Sam F. ft. Sophie Rose

November 16, 2018

Cait only worked until noon, then went home to change and put just a few things in one of her bags before picking Connor up to get to Penn Station so they could take the train to Philadelphia.  Margaret had arranged a car to meet them at 30th Street Station and take them to the Wells Fargo Center and then back to the station after the game.

They were going to fly to Boston the next day, because the train schedule just didn't work. And Cait frankly didn't feel like driving. She wanted to come back to sleep in her own bed. And she needed to get back to Salt Lake City as early as she could on Sunday. Grayson wouldn't be back until after his game on Monday night in Indianapolis. But she had shopping and cooking to do for Thanksgiving.

Marvin would be in town on Tuesday and wanted to come to dinner. Will and Sherry would be arriving on Wednesday. Grayson had a game against the Kings on Wednesday night. They would celebrate Thanksgiving with a midday meal on Thursday. And then Grayson would be off to LA and so would Will and Sherry. And Cait would be headed to Colorado.

Not to mention that Tuesday was the first day of Bring the Mountain and actually putting the kids on skis. Even though she was excited for that, Cait was beginning to wonder what she'd been thinking when she'd scheduled that for this week.

She met Connor when he got out of school and he practically ran to greet her. "Do I have time to change before we go to the station?" he asked.

"Train is at 4:00," Cait told him. We can swing by the apartment quickly on the way. You can leave your backpack and stuff too, since you're spending the night. It's gonna be late when we get back from Philly."

Traffic in Manhattan on a Friday afternoon was ridiculous, so Cait had taken the subway to meet Connor and they hopped back on that and got off at Bryant Park.  It only took a few minutes for Connor to change into a Jazz sweatshirt that Cait hadn't been aware he owned and a pair of jeans.  She wanted to laugh when he put on a pair of Vans.  Grayson 2.0.

"I've got a couple snacks for the train," Cait told him.  "It's only a little over an hour on the way down." Connor nodded and declared himself ready to go.

It had snowed in New York the day before, so Cait decided to take a cab the short distance to the station. She'd been tired this week and even her short runs were a bit of a struggle. Being sick the week before had apparently really wiped her out.  And Connor had flatly refused to wear socks, so she didn't want him walking around too much in the cold.

And it had been a stressful couple of days, both at work and with the reaction to the Jazz getting blown out by Dallas. Even though Grayson hadn't been teed up, the predictable Twitter reaction followed the foul call. And the fact that he had five fouls in his first eleven minutes on the court.

Cait would have been even more stressed if she'd known that Connor almost got in another fight at school the day before when someone had told him that Grayson was still a dick. The only thing that had stopped him was the certain realization that his sister wouldn't take him to the games this weekend if he punched someone again.

Connor knew that he had to walk away.  He'd learned that lesson when everything went down with his mother, but it hadn't been easy. He was starting to understand why neither Grayson nor Cait posted much on social media and why they didn't really watch ESPN. Better to ignore it and stay below the radar than to invite the trolls into your life.