Viva Las Vegas

Bright light city gonna set my soul
It's gonna set my soul on fire
Get a whole lot of money that's ready to burn
So get those stakes up high

----Viva Las Vegas, Elvis Presley

July 6, 2018

"Absolutely not!"  Luke glared across the table. 

"Luke, c'mon, please," Cait begged him.  "I need your help."

"The hell you do," he snapped.  "I can name at least five people that would love to do this, but I ain't one of them."

Luke and Cait were sitting in one of the three Starbucks that were scattered around the MGM Grand. Grayson and Cait had just arrived in Vegas and Grayson had team stuff to do. The Pistons were playing in a few hours, but Luke had strained a knee in practice and wasn't playing.  And Luke suddenly realized that he should have known when he got the text from Cait that she wanted to talk to him alone, he wouldn't like what she had to say.

He'd been prepared for her to be freaking out about Grayson's little altercation with Trae Young the night before.  To be upset by the media and Twitter reactions to it.  He was all set to talk her down.  He had not been prepared for her to ask him to help her shop for a wedding dress.  And they were now involved in a high stakes stare down.

"Luke," she whispered, tears appearing, "I need you for this."

"Shit, don't cry," Luke groaned.  "That's fighting dirty and you know it."

"I don't know where else to go," she said softly.

"How about Rae?  Or Sherry?  Joan, my mom or Lauren?" he said quickly.  "Or your dad?"

"I want something that Grayson will love," she pleaded.  "None of them are going to be able to help with that."

"Then walk down the aisle naked," Luke gave her a level look.  "He'd definitely love that."

"He would not and you know it," Cait frowned.

"G doesn't give a shit about the dress," Luke told her.  "Just fucking pick whatever you want.  But leave me out of it."

"Luke, are you really not willing to do this one little thing for me?" Cait sniffled.  "After all that our friendship has meant to both of us?  It's one afternoon of your life."

"You don't get to play the guilt card," Luke frowned.

"I'm not playing, Luke," she said quietly.  "I really, really need your help.  I'm begging you."

"Cait."  He was still frowning. "Why me?  I don't know shit about wedding dresses and I'm not gonna be any help."

"Yes, you will," she insisted. "You'll be honest. That's all I need."

"This is ridiculous," he sighed. "You could swing a dead cat and find someone more qualified than me to help you pick out a wedding dress."

"You're wrong," she told him. "You have exactly the qualifications that I need. I want something that Grayson will love. I care what he thinks. And he won't go with me."

"Why the fuck does he get to say no?" Luke asked. "And I don't."

"He wants to be surprised at the wedding," Cait said. "You don't get to make that argument."

"I dunno why not," Luke muttered.

"Because you're not marrying me," she pointed out.

"I would if it got me out of this," Luke mumbled, causing Cait to lightly kick his shin. "Hey," he frowned at her, "that's no way to treat the poor SOB that you're counting on to help you pick out a wedding dress."