Goodbye Girl

All your life you've waited
For love to come and stay
And now that I have found you
You must not slip away
I know it's hard believin'
The words you've heard before
But darling you must trust them just once more
'Cause baby goodbye doesn't mean forever
Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean we'll never be together again
If you wake up and I'm not there I won't be long away
'Cause the things you do my goodbye girl will bring me back to you
——Goodbye Girl, David Gates

May 27, 2019

"Thank God we get to leave today," Luke frowned at Grayson.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Grayson asked.

"Tonight, I will be sleeping in a nice, quiet room in a big house where there won't be any funny business going on," Luke told him.

"You hope," Grayson snorted. "Donovan and Royce will be there too.  Just because I'm not gonna be getting lucky doesn't mean someone won't."

Luke seemed to scowl at that.  "At least they won't be as loud as you."

"You hope," Grayson stressed with a laugh.

"No one could be as loud as you," Luke sighed. 

He and Rae had arrived in New York on Saturday.  And the girls had been spending some time swept up in wedding stuff.  Four weeks until the big day and they had all kinds of details to attend to.  And Luke and Grayson had been hanging out, going to the park and making plans for the bachelor weekend.  But the four of them had gone to a movie.  And out to dinner.  And to one of Connor's soccer games. Memorial Day weekend in New York meant Fleet Week and they'd caught a few of those events. And they never seemed to run out of things to talk about. Bicker about. Laugh about.

"Look, I'm not going to see Cait for over two weeks," Grayson told him. "Not gonna apologize for makin' hay while the sun shines."

Luke rolled his eyes at that. "Hay is not at all what you were making," he snarked. "If you were, you're doing it wrong."

"Figure of speech, superstar," Grayson laughed.  "She had a tough week last week.  Glad to see her relax a little bit. And happy to do all I can to contribute."

"I'll bet you are," Luke muttered.

But before he could continue his complaining, Cait appeared downstairs and smiled at Grayson, then spontaneously hugged him.  "Gonna miss you," she whispered.

"Jesus, Caitlin," Luke snorted, "you're about to be stuck with his dumb ass for the rest of your life.  Can't you make it two and a half weeks?"

Cait glared at Luke.  "Are you telling me you won't miss Rae?" she asked, as Rae came down the stairs and raised an eyebrow at Luke.

"No," Luke said slowly.  "But Rae's less of a pain in the ass than him."

"Can't argue that," Grayson laughed.

"It just so happens," Rae smirked, "that I'm less of a pain in the ass than any of you. You're all extra."

"Um, Angel?" Luke smirked in return. "You're the one that decided to change the location of our wedding by a few thousand miles with less than three months notice. That's pretty extra. But not as extra as G, I'll give you that," he amended quickly.