Break On Me - Part 1

There'll be days your heart won't want to beat
You pray more than you breathe
And you just wanna fall to pieces
And nights, two AM calls
Where dreams become walls
And you just need a break
Break on me
Shatter like glass
Come apart in my hands
——Break On Me, Keith Urban

January 5, 2018

Cait and Rae sat side by side at Little Caesar's Arena. They'd debated how to do this, but at the end of the day, they were best friends and they were going to sit together. Even if they were supposed to be on opposite sides.

Grayson still wasn't playing, which Cait had thought would be a relief in a way, but it actually made it harder for her.  If he'd been in uniform, she would have had no problem wanting the Jazz to win.  But he wasn't and it was hard for her not to want Luke to do well.

The Pistons initially didn't need Cait's help anyhow. They got out to a fast start and the Jazz were down by ten halfway through the first.  The Jazz frankly looked awful and the Pistons led 31-13 at the end of the quarter.  But the Jazz managed to get it together in the second quarter and were only down by five at the half.

The gap closed to two at the end of the third, as Donovan finally started to get going. And once he got going, the Jazz didn't look back. 

Eventually, the Jazz won, 110-105, which had Rae muttering that Luke would be insufferable, especially since he'd only scored two points. 

Cait winced when Dante sprained an ankle.  And then Thabo went out too.  She couldn't help but wonder what that would mean for Grayson.  The Jazz had been cautious so far, but he'd been able to work out a little for a few days.  If they were missing other players, it might accelerate their timetable to get Grayson back. And she wasn't really sure she wanted that. She'd rather he was completely healthy.

After the game, they watched as Luke and Grayson exchanged a long hug.  "At least they'll see each other again next week," Rae sighed.

"And they talk a lot," Cait pointed out. 

"After the season, we should take that trip we're always talking about," Rae said with a smile. 

"You're right," Cait told her.  "Let's try to do that."

Rae took Cait back to Grayson's hotel.  He'd be leaving for Milwaukee in the morning.  And Rae would be back to pick Cait up.  They were flying to Salt Lake City on Sunday evening, because Cait had an appointment with the neurologist the next day. 

It meant Rae missing another one of Luke's games and Cait felt badly about that.  But Rae had insisted it was fine.  That the two of them could settle in and watch the games on television that night.

And Cait again curled up with Grayson in bed, knowing it would only be about forty eight hours until they we're both home.

"How're you doing, Kitten?" he asked softly. "Be honest."

"I'm not sure," she whispered. "I mean, I know I'm gonna be fine eventually. But the process still sucks, y'know?"

"I know what you mean," he smiled a bit. "But we have each other. And I'm very grateful for that. I know there will be tough days. But if I had lost you too, I don't know that I would be okay. So let's focus on us."