Bigger Than Us

We've tried every way to mess this up
But it's a life long kind of tough
Baby, this love is a long, hard highway
Stronger than time and forged in steel
Two driven hearts with a boundless hunger
And crazy's got the wheel
So close your eyes
Let go and hold on tight
Whatever fate throws our way
It's never too much 'cause girl this love is bigger than us
——Bigger Than Us, Adam Doleac

August 22, 2018

Grayson was hovering over his fiancée, his hands tangled in her hair.  "God, so damn good, babe," he moaned softly in her ear, his eyes finding hers, looking into those emerald depths.

Cait was holding onto his shoulders, her legs wrapped around him.  "Gray, I, I'm-"

Whatever Cait had been about to say was interrupted by the buzzing of her cell phone from the nightstand, which caused her to turn her head.  "Don't," Grayson grunted.  "Probably just Luke.  Look at me."

He turned her head back toward him, saw her biting her lip now.  He kissed that sweet mouth of hers, felt her hand move to the back of his neck, then lifted his head just a bit to look into those eyes again.  But before either one could say anything else, the intercom from the doorman buzzed.

"He knows we're here," Cait panted. 

"Fuck," Grayson growled as he rolled away from her.  He watched her answer the call. 

"Oh, of course," she managed.  "No, it's fine.  Okay.  Thank you."  She turned to Grayson.  "My dad is here," she said, expression quizzical.

That caused Grayson to let loose with a few expletives.  But it also threw a pretty big bucket of cold water on his libido.

Cait stood and grabbed a long, silky robe in a floral print, wrapping it tightly around her and knotting the belt. She turned toward him. Grayson was still laying in bed, trying to catch his breath. "I'll be down in a few minutes," he sighed.

"Sorry, Baby Boy," Cait murmured, leaning over to kiss his forehead.  "Are you okay?"

"Just get rid of him," Grayson groaned. 

"I'll do my best," Cait laughed as she headed downstairs.

She opened the door and left it cracked a bit and then headed into the kitchen.  She was reaching into the fridge for a Diet Coke for her and a water for Grayson when she heard the door open.  "Hey Dad," she called out.  "Do you need a drink?"

"Where's your bottle?" Jack asked quietly, knowing she'd have one.

Cait's head snapped around at that.  "Dad?" She turned toward him and took in his expression, his posture and the dark circles under his eyes. 

Grayson bounded down the stairs now, his hair a little damp from the thirty second cold shower.  He hopped the last few steps.  He was dressed in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.  Cait absently handed him the water without even looking at him and he murmured his thanks and kissed her cheek, before he followed her gaze.

"The bottle, Caitlin?" Jack said softly.

"I got it."  Grayson opened a cupboard and pulled out the bottle, grabbed a glass and poured a good amount.  Cait was still staring at her dad, so he handed it to Jack.  "Are you okay?" Grayson asked.