Speechless

I know that I'll be a mess
The second that I see you
You won't be surprised
It happens every time
It's nothin' new
It's always on a night like tonight
I thank God you can read my mind
'Cause when you look at me with those eyes
I'm speechless

----Speechless, Day & Shay

November 25, 2018

The Jazz started off a bit slow in the first couple of minutes, but Ricky caught fire and they matched Sacramento shot for shot for most of the first quarter. The Jazz managed a four point lead at the end of the first.

Grayson checked in with about six and a half minutes left in the second and the Jazz up by one. After his disastrous three minutes in LA, it was a little surprising, but welcome. He missed his first shot, a long three. But he made his next one, a corner three. And the Jazz were on an 8-0 run.

Grayson got fouled and missed both free throws, which was wholly uncharacteristic. And then he was out of the game again. The Jazz were up by seven. And three points in three minutes, with no fouls, was certainly progress.

He was in again in the third quarter. He turned the ball over with a travel. But then he hit another three before missing a couple.

The Jazz finally put together a pretty complete game and Grayson was back on the floor to close it out. He finished with nine points in thirteen minutes. A rebound and an assist. And only one foul. And the Jazz got a convincing win, 133-112.

Cait watched the game back at home in Salt Lake City, having arrived in the middle of the afternoon. Her father, Joan and Connor had left for New York, Connor needing to get back for school. Cait would be there on Tuesday, her insane travel schedule kicking back in. At least Grayson would be in New York for a couple of days too, even if he would be busy with the team.

And after New York, he'd be off to Charlotte and Miami. Cait was planning to stay in New York for a few days.

When the game was over, Cait went to bed. She was still feeling tired, couldn't seem to shake this fatigue. She told herself that the constant travel and the sensation of whiplash between work, skiing, worrying about Grayson and not getting enough exercise was responsible.  And worrying about Grayson seemed like a full time job on its own right now.

She knew that the Jazz losing had been killing him.  He'd never played on a team that lost more than it won.  And she knew he hated it.  So she was glad they'd won tonight. 

When Grayson arrived home in the early morning hours, Cait managed to wake herself up. She'd missed him. And it was entirely too rare that they slept, or didn't sleep, in the same place these days. So tonight, they didn't sleep.

*****

November 26, 2018

Grayson had been trying to decide how he was going to have this conversation with Cait. He needed to tell her everything that he'd learned about Stacy. And he needed to tell her about Phil's concern that someone could have tampered with that ski. But Cait wasn't exactly always calm about this kind of stuff. Especially these days.  She'd seemed a little more emotional that usual lately. Not to mention tired.  And he didn't want to argue with her when he was only home for a day.