Here Without You

All the miles that separate
Disappear now when I'm dreamin' of your face
I'm here without you baby
But you're still on my lonely mind
I think about you baby and I dream about you all the time
I'm here without you baby
But you're still with me in my dreams
And tonight, girl, it's only you and me
——Here Without You, 3 Doors Down

March 29, 2019

"Wait, what?"

Cait was staring across her desk at Dameon Roberts. He simply slid the photo and the papers in her direction.

"It was Nigel," he said, as though he was lecturing a child. "Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. And I traced it all the way back to when he started on the project. That's when the issues began. That's when the bills of lading started noting changes in the orders. And there's a photograph of him at the supplier's office yesterday evening. He had no reason to be there."

Cait's eyes widened in shock and Dameon smirked now.  "Disappointed?" he asked.  "I know you were prepared to kick my arse out of here."

"I was," she nodded.  "But I'm a fair person.  This is going to require further investigation. But I'm suspending Nigel as of right now.  And I'll engage a solicitor to review everything and determine whether the authorities should be notified.  If he was accepting kickbacks, he should be prosecuted."

She studied the man in front of her.  "I owe you an apology," she said simply.  "I was really certain that you were the problem.  I believed Nigel when he came to me and blamed you. I should have realized that he might have an agenda. I'm sorry."

But he shook his head.  "I'm still responsible," he sighed.  "I should have realized it sooner.  Which is why I'm here to tender my resignation."

"I'm afraid I can't accept it," Cait told him.  "This project needs to get back on track and get finished.  You have a contract.  I'm going to hold you to it."

His jaw tightened.  "Must you always be difficult?" he gritted out.

"Dude, you have no idea," Connor snorted from the other side of the room where he was supposed to be reading.  Then he looked up.  "Sorry," he blinked innocently.  "Did I say that out loud?"

But Dameon Roberts watched Caitlin smile at her brother.  "Always a smart ass," she shot back, sticking her tongue out at him.  And they both laughed. 

It was the first time Dameon had seen her smile.  And laugh.  And what a sight it was.

*****

The afternoon was exceptionally busy.  Cait had to contact the solicitor that they had on retainer.  And to meet with him.  She and Dameon had to formally suspend Nigel Williams, who had turned from an affable young man into a snarling little weasel.  And they met with the rest of the project team to explain what had happened and to make sure there was a plan in place to get the project back on track. 

Connor watched his sister work as she moved from one task to the next.  And while she was running down something or other, her phone buzzed from her desk. 

He saw the contact and grabbed the phone, hoping that he wasn't about to see something he hadn't bargained for.  Out of an abundance of caution, he covered his eyes.