Let's Get It Started

Step by step, like you're into new kid
Inch by inch, with the new solution
Transmit hits, with no delusion
The feeling's irresistible and that's how we movin'
Everybody, everybody, let's get into it
Get stupid
Get it started, get it started, get it started
----Let's Get It Started, Black Eyed Peas

September 28, 2018

Cait stepped off the plane in Salt Lake City, taking a deep breath.  It might only be the preseason, but it was here.  Grayson had a meet the team event tonight and then his first preseason game the next day.  It was basketball season again.

Last year, Cait had been preparing for her own season, for the Olympics.  Grayson's season starting, while important, hadn't felt monumental the way this one did. 

She told herself that was stupid, that there were few expectations on Grayson this season, unlike last year, when he'd really needed to have a good year to put himself in position to be drafted in the first round.  But she'd been a bit distracted then.  Now, although she had plenty to occupy her time, none of that distracted her from worrying about what the next seven or so months would bring.

Cait knew that this would be different than Duke.  Grayson would play more than twice as many games, albeit a lot fewer minutes.  And he'd be expected to work even harder than he ever had.  There was no class to attend, no college life to live.  This was business. 

She arrived home to an empty house except for Tyler.  She'd known that Grayson would already be at practice and that she probably wouldn't see him until that evening.  And she needed to get used to his schedule being crazy.

She unpacked her bag, put some laundry in and settled into her office to do a little bit of work.  There was nothing to be nervous about, she told herself.  Grayson was ready for this.  He'd be fine.

She just couldn't shake the bad feeling that she had.

*****

She'd finally gotten into the system and found the gate codes.  That had been a major accomplishment.  And she'd been taking a late night drive through that complex just about every night this week.

Cait Callahan didn't seem to be here.  She knew that Cait and Grayson had been in Durham last weekend, but Cait hadn't appeared back in Salt Lake City yet as far as she could tell.  Instead, Grayson seemed to be concentrating on training camp and was basically home to sleep. 

She'd also ascertained that trash day was Wednesday.  Of course, Grayson being the conscientious person that he was, he'd put the trash out on Tuesday evening, before he went to bed.  Perfect.

There were several ways to accomplish what she intended, but she'd settled on this plan for her first attempt.  So, once she determined that Cait was back in town, which she fully expected before Grayson's first preseason game the next day, she'd be able to put her plan into action.

*****

Cait arrived at Vivint SmartHome Arena for the fan event.  It was a free event and the place was packed.  But she picked up her pass and found the family seating area. 

Jordan, Donovan's younger sister, was there and greeted Cait with a question about how Connor was doing.  And she chatted throughout the event.  And introduced Cait to her mother.  Cait met a few other family members, but they all seemed to know one another and she was very obviously the new face.  The introductions distracted her from worrying about Grayson and what kind of reception he'd get for a few minutes.

*****

The free fan event had been too tempting. She hadn't been able to get a great seat, but it wasn't difficult to pick out Cait sitting in the crowd. That stupid red hair of hers was easy to spot.