Beautiful Crazy

But she gets that come get me look in her eye
Well, it kinda scares me the way that she drives me wild
But she drives me wild
Beautiful, crazy, she can't help but amaze me

----Beautiful Crazy, Luke Combs

July 8, 2018

Cait settled into her seat once again.  Grayson had gotten hit in the face the day before, the Trailblazers' player assessed a flagrant two and ejected.  But Twitter and the media went crazy again.  At least he wasn't playing today, the Jazz being cautious with his minutes.

She'd hoped that leaving Duke and joining the Jazz meant that Grayson would be out of the spotlight, that he could get a fresh start.  But clearly that wasn't to be.  And now she was concerned that he'd have a target on his back.  That some fringe player would determine that the way to attention and popularity was to cheap shot the controversial rookie. One more thing for her to worry about.

July 10, 2018

Grayson had a relatively early game at 2:30 p.m., so he was up and out of the suite first thing in the morning. Cait knew he was determined to put in plenty of work during this short window to show what he could do and to demonstrate to the Jazz that he was willing to be a team guy. He was a professional basketball player now and she knew that he wanted to be certain to act like one.

For her part, Cait went to the hotel gym and got a workout in and then headed back to their suite to get ready for the game. She had just gotten out of the shower when her phone buzzed. She frowned at it, but answered the call.

"Caitlin, daaarling," Vivian Montgomery's voice came through the phone. "I'm so glad I've tracked you down. I need you to get to New York, dear. I've got some designers lined up to meet with you and pitch their ideas for your gown.  Fly in this evening."

"Vivian," Cait tried to keep her composure, "you know perfectly well that I won't be in New York for another week. I'm in Las Vegas."

"These people are giving you their valuable time," Vivian frowned. "And we're on the clock here. We need to get moving if we're going to be able to get you married next summer sometime. You can get back to playing an NBA groupie another time."

Cait's jaw tightened, as her stress level ratcheted up. "I'm not playing anything, Vivian," she snapped. "I'm here with my fiancé. Remember him? The reason for this whole shindig that you're getting paid to plan."

"And I don't normally do weddings for athletes," Vivian pointed out. "I'm only doing this one because of your darling father. Now, I need your cooperation. Get on a plane and get here. And after you meet with the designers, we'll start looking over some reception venues."

"I've already got a reception venue," Cait ground out. "In Hawaii. We already booked it. And I have a wedding date. June 22nd."

"I told your father to cancel that contract," Vivian told her. "You really need to get married in New York to have the type of wedding that I'm envisioning."

A veil of red descended over Cait's vision as she reached the wrong side of enough. "I don't give a shit what you envision, Vivian," she said in a low, serious voice. "I'm getting married in Hawaii on June 22nd. Which I've told you from the beginning. This is my wedding. Mine and Grayson's. Not yours. You're fired. And if we lose the contract for the Four Seasons, I will sue you. I will unleash my father's entire legal team on you. And I'll make sure that you never plan another wedding as long as you live."

"Your father warned me that you're temperamental," Vivian snapped. "But this is absurd. If you can't cooperate, I quit."

"You can't quit, you dumb bitch," Cait told her. "I just fired you. But the confidentiality agreement in your contract survives the termination of the agreement. So you keep your mouth shut about my wedding plans or -"