Good Riddance

So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life
——Good Riddance, Green Day

April 23, 2019

The end of Grayson's season had been temporarily delayed by a 107-91 win over the Rockets the night before.  And no one was more thrilled about that than Connor, who had literally lost his voice screaming at the game. 

Even though Grayson had remained firmly on the bench, which he'd wholly expected at this point, Connor had lost his mind cheering for the Jazz. So he was pleading with Cait in a hoarse whisper the next morning. He wanted to go to Houston.

Grayson took the plate with Connor's breakfast from Cait and deposited it on the table in front of him, before taking a seat beside his mother. Will was putting bags in the back of Grayson's car, since he was taking them to the airport.

"Dude," Grayson said with a shake of his head. "I'm not playing unless it's a blowout. Or about eight people get food poisoning."

"G," Connor croaked. "I love you. But I'm a fan of the whole team. Besides, it isn't like we have anywhere else to be."

Cait sighed. It had occurred to her that she probably ought to do some packing and get their place here ready to be left for a few weeks.  Or maybe even longer.  Grayson still really hadn't finalized his schedule.  Sherry, on the other hand, sat back and watched with fascination as Grayson and Cait dealt with a whiny teenager.

"It also isn't like we don't have things to do," Cait told him.  "You've done zero homework.  I have work stuff to do.  And we probably need to do some cleaning out and packing here."

"Sounds thrilling," Connor snarked.  "Or we could be at the game."

"Don't be a smart ass," Grayson frowned at him.  "This is your sister's decision."

"What if we fly down tomorrow?"  Cait suggested.  "You do your homework today.  I'll do some things here.  And we'll go to Houston tomorrow."  It would be a long day, but at least Cait would feel like she'd gotten some things accomplished.

Connor looked only slightly mollified, but he nodded.  "Fine," he managed.  "That's fair.  Thanks, Cait."

"Now that that's decided," Grayson smiled at them, "we've gotta go.  I'll see you two tomorrow."  He patted Connor's shoulder and kissed Cait before picking up his bags and heading out the door. 

"At least once the season ends he can get rid of the Ballet Buddies backpack," Connor smirked.

*****

It took a lot of oversight from Cait, but Connor got most of his homework done. And Cait got some work done and started the process of cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer and organizing things.

She also promised an increasingly frantic Jackie that she would be in New York the following week and would make time for wedding plans. And promised to keep her posted about Grayson's availability for his long delayed fitting.

Finally, she forced Connor to bed early, knowing that the next day would be long. And she spoke to Grayson, who had been busy with team meetings and film study.