Eyes On You

No matter where we go
No matter what we do
If you're there girl, I've got my eyes on you
Don't matter where we've been
No there ain't no better view
Than you in my arms with my eyes on you

----Eyes On You, Chase Rice

Grayson was not only back in Salt Lake City, he was actually active for the game. That made Cait feel like she had whiplash.

Phil had insisted that he and Meghan would pick Cait up and they'd have dinner before the game. He'd noticed that Cait seemed a little off that day and he was starting to get concerned about her. And Meghan had seen what looked like Cait arguing with Jared in the parking lot.

They went to dinner and Cait, suddenly starving, ate her entire steak salad.  And then they went to the arena.  After they settled into their seats, Phil left to use the rest room before the game started.

He came back frowning.  "Were you aware that Jared was coming to the game?" he asked Cait.  "I just saw him outside in the concourse."

He saw her jaw tighten, recognized that pissed off look on her face.  "Couldn't care less, frankly," she ground out.  "I'm so done with Jared.  I told him not to talk to me."

Phil looked at her with a quizzical frown.  "Talk to me, Champ," he ordered.

Cait sighed and gave Phil the highlights of Jared's comments.  "I know what you're gonna say, Phil," she preempted him.  "He's not wrong, but I'm the only one that needs to be happy with my decisions.  But he's got no business questioning it.  And I'm done.  He said some pretty awful things about Grayson and I'm not going to let him get away with that.  Grayson takes enough grief.  He doesn't need to be blamed for my decisions."

Phil's brow furrowed at that, but Meghan spoke up.  "Good for you," she told Cait with a nod.  "He's way out of line, saying that stuff to you.  I don't even know Grayson, but I can tell how you feel about him, Cait.  And you're a big girl, capable of making your own decisions."

Cait smiled at her gratefully and Phil just shook his head.  "I'm not dumb enough to argue with the both of you," he laughed at them.  "Especially not when I agree with you."

*****

Cait put Jared's apparent presence out of her head.  She didn't care what he did.  Or where he went.  Her choice would be hell, but she supposed she didn't get a vote. 

And if he wanted to mess with Bring the Mountain, she hoped he was prepared for a fight.  She would protect her program, but she wouldn't deal with the questions about her personal life.

But while she might have been ignoring Jared, he was most certainly not ignoring her.  He was watching her closely, the entire game.  Watching her watching Grayson.  The look on her face when her eyes rested on that douchebag sickened him. 

Caitlin Callahan had a gift.  And she was wasting it.  All for some guy who sat his ass on the bench. 

She needed to see sense.  This season didn't necessarily matter.  But eventually, Cait needed to do the right thing.  For herself and for the American skiing program.

*****

The game got wild early when Rudy was ejected in the first three minutes.  The refs seemed a little whistle happy.  But the Jazz were up 53-45 at the half.