Tears In Heaven

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?
——Tears In Heaven, Eric Clapton

Grayson had managed to call Cait's father.  That hadn't been easy.  But he'd told him the truth about her condition.  All of it. 

Jack had accepted it quietly and simply told Grayson that he and Joan would arrive in Salt Lake City around 4:00 a.m. local time and that they would go to check on Connor before coming to the hospital. 

Grayson had also sat down to talk to the police officers that had been patiently waiting for him.  Jae insisted on sitting in on that conversation.  He knew damn well that the State Police didn't send two detectives for a simple single car accident.

Grayson knew that Jae was less fond of law enforcement than he was and he understood the reasons.  But he couldn't imagine that he had anything to worry about.  But Jae had frowned at him.  "Look, the significant other is always a suspect," he whispered.

"Jae, I was in an arena with 20,000 people," Grayson returned.  "And it was a car accident."

But the police disabused Grayson of his notion that this was just a car accident. They laid it all out.

Detective Miguel Sanchez and his partner Detective Tom Reynolds watched Grayson Allen's face carefully. They saw the shock. And then the fear. Followed by the anger.

"Are you telling me that someone intentionally ran my fiancée and her brother off the road?" he asked.

"We can't be sure of that," Reynolds offered. "Someone ran into her. Whether it was an accident or intentional, we don't know. But whomever it was, they didn't exactly stop or report the accident, which is a crime."

"What we need to know is whether there's anyone that you know of that had a reason," Sanchez added. "I get that you're a public figure and so is she. But have you had any unwanted attention? Anything like that."

Grayson's jaw tightened and he reached into his wallet for a phone number. "Call Bryan Jacobs, the Jazz security chief," he said through gritted teeth, as he handed them the card. "Ask him to give you all the information he has on Stacy Fletcher."

*****

The two detectives left the hospital and went for coffee. "Thoughts?" Reynolds asked his partner.

"I don't like Allen for it," Sanchez shook his head. "He doesn't fit the profile. And he's got a pretty damn good alibi."

"He's also got motive," Reynolds pointed out. "She's pregnant. He's having a tough season. They just sent him down again.  No guarantees that this basketball gig works out. She's got money. He could have hired someone."

"What's he gonna inherit?" Sanchez asked. "They aren't married yet."

"But we don't know if she has a will," Reynolds replied. "She's apparently loaded. And he's got a reputation."

"For stuff on the court," Sanchez waved a hand. "He's never stepped out of line off the court. I don't necessarily think it translates. And you and I both saw his face. If he did this, he's one hell of an actor."