Closer To Fine

There's more than one answer to these questions
Pointing me in a crooked line
And the less I seek my source for some definitive
The less I seek my source
Closer I am to fine
——Closer to Fine, Indigo Girls

Grayson sat with Cait for as long as he could, but eventually he had to leave.  Just before he did, Cait got a phone call from Jack and he left her talking to her father, who had been notified of Jared's arrest. He suspected that Connor was probably standing by to talk to her too.

For his part, Grayson felt relieved.  He wanted to put all of this behind them and just move forward.  They were getting married.  They could leave all of this crap in the rear view mirror and get on with their lives. Correction, their life. One they would share.

*****

The Jazz started off decently, Joe on fire from deep.  But Cait couldn't help but smile watching Wendell.  He hit a long jumper.  And blocked an attempt by Royce to get to the rim.  The Bulls weren't a great team, but Wendell was still a beast. He and Rudy were battling down low.

Cait was a little surprised when Grayson checked in with two minutes left in the first. She hadn't been sure how much he would play, just coming off that injury.

He blocked a shot, was playing really solid defense.  And was fouled driving the lane and hit both free throws.  But the Jazz went a bit cold shooting and the Bulls were right back in it. The Jazz were down by two at the half.

Grayson checked back in with two and a half minutes left in the third. And he hit a three to put the Jazz up 81-80. But the Bulls were ahead by one at the end of the quarter.

The game stayed close.  Grayson missed a couple of threes, but they were good looks.  And he made a little push shot for two.  Wendell got fed up with Joe and got teed up, which made Cait laugh a little.  She knew it wouldn't be a big deal when he did it.  And Grayson didn't even foul anyone in thirteen minutes on the court. 

He finished with seven points, one rebound, one turnover and the block. But given that he hadn't played at all for three weeks and that he hadn't been on the floor in an NBA game for a month, it was a decent return game. And most importantly, the Jazz won, 110-102.

*****

After the game, Rae was going straight to Luke's hotel, since he had already arrived.  She was taking Cait's car so that she and Luke could just come over the next day.  If she'd been in a better mood, Cait would have teased her about how anxious she was.

For her part, Cait waited for Grayson. She was reminding herself that she didn't need to look over her shoulder. That she shouldn't have to worry.

But while she was waiting, she went to the bathroom.  And on her way out, someone tapped her shoulder.

She turned around and rolled her eyes.  "You've got to be fucking kidding me," she growled at Stacy Fletcher. 

Stacy held up her hands.  "I just want a minute," she said quickly. 

"Make it fast," Cait snapped, looking around to ascertain that there was security not too far away. "I'm in no mood for you and whatever scheme you're working on."

"No more schemes," Stacy said, swallowing hard.  "I swear.  The police questioned me about your accident.  And it made me realize how wrong I was.  And I wanted you to know that I'm sorry."