I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes -Part 1

We're wide awake but girl I wanna make you close your eyes
And say my name like only you can say it and hold me tight
All I need is only you and me alone tonight
I wanna make you close your eyes
----I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes, Dierks Bentley

November 19, 2018

Cait had been busy for two solid days when she finally sank down to watch the Jazz play the Pacers.  She'd gotten in from New York the day before.  After a late night arrival from Boston, she'd gotten up and delivered Connor back to her father and Joan and then headed out to fly to Utah. 

She had caught a nap on the flight at least.  That was fortuitous because she'd dropped her bag off, put laundry in, done some cleaning, made a bunch of lists and then headed to the grocery store.  And a second grocery store when the first one was out of sage.

She'd spent today working on her corporate giving plan, getting food prepared for Marvin's visit and then getting things set for Will and Sherry's visit and for the holiday. 

Now she was ready to watch the game and then to try to get some sleep before Grayson arrived.  He wouldn't be home for very long and she wanted to spend as much time with him as she could.  That was the reason she was determined to do as much as she could to be prepared before he got home.

She had her laptop and was going to try to do some work during the game, but Tyler appeared and made it very clear that he was laying claim to her lap. So the computer stayed closed. And Cait snuggled up with the cat and did her best to stay awake to watch.

*****

The Jazz came out flat, which was probably understandable at the end of a long road trip. They were down 32-19 at the end of the first quarter and were turning the ball over like it was their job. But they closed to within six with three minutes left in the first half.

The deficit was ten at the half.  Close enough that Grayson kept his seat. Ricky was pretty much singlehandedly keeping the Jazz within a reasonable margin. And Grayson continued to sit.

Cait knew he was starting to get frustrated, but that was a luxury he couldn't allow himself. She remembered talking to Luke about this the year before. Somehow, it had been a lot easier to tell Luke to be patient. Maybe she needed to have him talk to Grayson.

He finally got in the game with a little over four minutes left and the Jazz down by more than 20.  To a chorus of boos.  But he hit a three.  And then committed a foul.  He missed a three but then he threw down a hammer that made Cait smile.  But then missed another three.  And stepped out of bounds. 

His defense was still spotty and Cait knew that he wasn't necessarily setting the world on fire, even though he scored five points in five minutes.  It was a process to adjust to the game at this level and he wasn't there yet.

At least he was finally coming home, however briefly.  That was something to look forward to.

*****

As much as Cait wanted to stay awake until Grayson got home, it was a total impossibility. She shut off the television and went to bed, hoping she would hear him come in.

But she was dead asleep and didn't hear the alarm or the door. She finally stirred slightly when she felt his weight in the bed, which disturbed the cat. Tyler, who was curled up by Cait's stomach, vacated the bed with a dirty look at Grayson.