Fair Game

I wrote this at a family party hehe

"Pass it butterfingers!"

You shout at Brandon who was dribbling a basketball. You were currently in the middle of a pickup game with your cousins and your sister. Hunter steals the ball from Brandon and makes the final point they needed to win. Him, Ashton, and your sister Ariel start laughing hysterically while you and Brandon stand next to each other in awe, hands on your hips gasping for air.

"We just beat you dorks for the third time"

Hunter laughs high fiving Ariel. Ashton walks over and hugs you.

"It's ok Y/n, your still my favorite cousin even though you suck at basketball"

Hunter and your sister start laughing more. You roll your eyes.

"Thank you Ashton"

You say sarcastically as he lets go of you.

"KIDS LUNCH IS READY!"

Your aunt yells and the five of you run inside to go eat.

~~~

"And then Brandon practically surrendered the ball"

Hunter says dramatically as he relays how he, Ariel, and Ashton beat you.

"Pretty sure that's not how it happened"

You mutter under your breath making both you and Brandon chuckle.

"Well kids we have some adult business to discuss so maybe go try to redeem yourselves on the court"

Your mom says and you all clear your dishes before going back outside. Across the street your attention is drawn to a group of kids outside like you were. Boys playing basketball, some shirtless, and some girl spectators in bikinis. You and Brandon being the same age, tended to get along better than the others. You look to your right to see him standing next to you as both of you focus your attention back across the street.

"What's going on there?"

You ask.

"Just the neighborhood f*ckboy convention"

You burst into laughter.

"Thanks Brandon but a little too much information"

"I'm just saying"

He chuckles.

"Unfortunately I go to school with these people so no one knows it better than I do"

"Are you nerds up for round four"

Hunter teases and pretends to bounce the basketball at Brandon's head.

"We're fine"

You say in unison as you each take a seat on the curb and watch the action on the other side. Brandon filled you in on everybody.

"That's Mark, he's not that bad, Blake, Joey, Charles, I would steer clear, Loren, Lexi, uh who is that Luna, they're ok I guess. I don't really talk to any of them so"

"Who's that"

You discreetly point to a tall kid with fluffy hair who just made a 3-pointer.

"Oh that's Jacob, he's fair game I guess"

"Fair game?"

"Yeah I give you permission to date him"

You chuckle.

"Brandon he doesn't even know I'm alive, and besides what happened to them all being f*ckboys"

"I mean they are, but with Jacob you can't really tell"

You look at Brandon confused.

"I'm just saying he seems like he puts up a front, I know from the few conversations I've had with him that he isn't like the rest of them"

"And when did you become a psychologist"

You joke and he laughs.

"Want me to introduce you?"

You shake your head no vigorously and Brandon smirks in an evil way as he stands. Unsure of what he was about to do, you cautiously stand as well.

"JACOB GET OVER HERE"

Brandon yells across the street and your eyes go wide as the fluffy haired shirtless kid runs across the street and right up you two.

"Brandon wassup"

He says doing that generic boy handshake. He redirects his attention to you.

"This is my cousin, she's visiting from New York"

"Cool, I'm Jacob but you probably already know that by now"

You chuckle a little awkwardly and Brandon nudges you as if to get you to start a conversation, but being your awkward self incapable of talking to attractive people your gaze shifts from Jacob to the girl across the road staring you down.

"Sooooo... she thinks your cute"

"Brandon!"

Jacob smirks.

"I could say the same about her"

"Girls we're leaving!"

Your mom yells and you couldn't have asked for a better "saved by the bell" moment. You hadn't noticed until you turned back around, but Brandon dipped leaving you with an attractive stranger.

"So...are you gonna give me your number or do I have to ask for it"

He smirks and you giggle pulling out your phone.

"I mean guess I could give it to you"

You say in a joking tone.

"Please do, because you don't seem like the talkative type and I don't even know your name yet"

"My names..."

The sound of your mom honking the horn drowns our the sound of you answering him. Ariel grabs your wrist and drags you in the direction of the car.

"Ariel let go!"

"We're leaving Y/n you can talk to boys another day"

She pushes you into the back seat and of course takes shotgun for herself. You look back to see Jacob watching the car pull out of the driveway. You quickly reach for your phone and text the new contact.

You: My name is Y/n

He must have felt his phone vibrate because he looked down at it and smiled, typing something in response.

Jacob: That's pretty

You: Your cheesy y'know

Jacob: Well look who's finally clapping back

You: Don't make me block you

Jacob: You wouldn't dream of it

~~~

I put this line here so you could see that it ended, because usually I don't type in bold so close to the end. Also I have a question. So I have a bunch of drafts that are kind of like sci-fi/fantasy style but I'm scared to publish them because I'm not sure if you guys will like that. So the question is: Do guys you want to see that yes or no? 😋😋😋~Bianca