Coming Clean

Katherine

"I'm going to sign Brooke up for gymnastics." I bit my lip as I watched our kids sleep.

Brian yawned next to me. He scratched his head. "She's always flipping around and shit."

"It's weird right? How different they are and yet they shared a womb."  I scoffed.

He smiled and we walked out of the room.

"I mean, Kaleb and I are completely opposite but we shared our womb home." I held his hand as he walked back to our bedroom.

"I think you guys are pretty similar." Brian sat on the bed. I sat next to him. "Both so ready to take the weight head on, don't really think about tomorrow...both kind of assholes."

I snorted. "You married this asshole."

He looked at me with love in his eyes. "I'd do it again. And again and again. In this lifetime and the next and the next."

I sat back and thought. He doesn't even know what I've done. He doesn't even realize I'm the cause of Nobody's death. I got emotional.

"Talk to me, Katherine." He noticed the change in my face. I can't hide my feelings for shit.

"If I told you..." I fought back tears. "You'd never look at me the same."

"There's been plenty of times that I could've turned my back on you. I never did, right?" He rubbed my back. "Let me in, please."

Fuck it. Fuck this. If Brian leaves...then he'll just leave. I felt the weight on my heart. I felt it slowing me down. I need to get it off my chest.

"The night Nobody died..." I began. Those words almost made me lose it. "I was there. Kaleb and I."

He simply stared at me.

"I did it, Brian. I killed him." I began to sob, not even trying to stop it. "He told me and Kaleb that he had weeks to live. And....oh my God!"

I stood and started pacing. Brian watched me.

"He didn't want to be a vegetable. He didn't want to be confined to the bed and suffering anymore. He was in pain and he chose his own path. He asked, begged and pleaded, for us to put him out of his misery. So I did. And he died in our arms. Brian, I heard his last few breaths. I felt him go limp under me...I watched as he became lifeless." I was losing it. "I've killed so many people, I've done so much shit in my years but killing that man was the most shameful thing I've ever done in my life. I can't look in the mirror without seeing someone who is just horrible. This team, this world would be better without Katherine Howard because Katherine Howard is fucking disgusting and-"

Brian grabbed my hand in a tight grip.

"Stop. Katherine stop." He told me. "You killed him, yes. But you said it yourself, he didn't want to end up a vegetable. You did what you had to. You followed an order. And that is something you'll never forget but it had to be done."

I didn't want to hear it.

"I'm so sorry that you had to do that and you're suffering. And I won't tell a single soul about this. But you can't continue blaming yourself for something that was bound to happen. Nobody loved you. And you loved him. Focus on that. Because if there was another way, Nobody would've took it."

I began to sob. Brian stood and opened his arms.

"Come here, baby." He whispered.

I stepped into his embrace. He wrapped one arm around my waist and the other stroked my hair. My tears dampened his shoulder and he kissed my temple.

"You'll be okay, Katherine. I promise. I love you. Regardless of anything you've done, I love you."

-

Happy Easter 🌻

Kind of upset that I didn't get an Easter Basket but whatever 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

-Chicken Soup 🍜