Gender

Brian

I was nervous as I held Katherine hand. The doctor was listening to my child's heartbeat, making sure it was okay. It sounded sturdy to me but I mean, I'm a fucking underground government agent. What do I know about baby heartbeats? This was Katherine's sixth month and the previous months were not the best for my baby. It was stubborn and if it decided to stay in one place, it was staying. But today, it was moving according to Katherine. So we might have a shot of figuring out what was inside of her and I was nervous as hell. I love my daughters with all of my heart and soul...but having a mini me wouldn't be so bad.

"No pain? No weird feeling when it moves?"

"No. It's mostly the usually nighttime twitches and fluttering when it moves it's legs. And no pain."

"Been taking your vitamins? Eating appropriate foods?"

"Yes." Katherine nodded.

"All right. I'm looking at its frame and it seems to be....."

The doctor moved the scope around Katherine's belly, staring at the monitor that showed my moving child. My heart was racing.

"A BOY!" The doctor exclaimed.

I let Katherine's hand go as I punched the air in utter excitement. I was so hyped. A boy. A mini me. I could picture it already. Me taking him to fix old cars, me telling him all about the Avengers and why Iron Man is better than Captain America and being his number one supporter at every football game. I'd take him outside in the backyard to practice and we'll come in and his sister's will tease him while Katherine makes sandwiches for lunch. He'll have the best sisters in the world. They'll protect him. They'll grow up two years apart but they'll be the best of friends in the world. I felt like my world was complete. I have my best friends, my wife, my children.

Katherine was smiling wide. "You're telling me I have a little man in there?"

"I'm saying exactly that. His penis is right there."

The doctor pointed at the monitor. We looked for a moment.

"A boy. Babe, it's a boy!" I whispered to Katherine and kissed her head.

"Our baby boy." She gushed at me.

For a moment, it felt like we were ordinary people with ordinary lives. Just regular nine to five tax payers with a growing family and a epic backstory to our love. I don't remember ever seeing her kill or kick someone's ass. Or, might I add, shoot me, punch me, kick me....I was happy. Not only was my child healthy but he's a he and he will be a me. A me.

A fucking me.