The Miracle

Brian

"Katherine, let's go!" I screamed at her from downstairs.

She didn't shout back, not wanting to stress her body with screaming. Our appointment was in fifteen minutes...it's a twenty minute drive. What the fuck? I sighed and went upstairs to find her. She was in our bathroom, looking at her body. She was turned sideways.

"Am I showing?" She asked me.

"First sonogram." I pointed out. "You're not showing."

"Okay, so what's this?" She asked, pointing at absolutely nothing.

"Katherine O'Connor procrastinating." I kissed her head. "Let's go."

We walked downstairs.

"Around three, Alina is going to drop the girls off because she has a fucking shopping list she needs to tackle. Then you are going to do arts and crafts with your daughters."

"You mean, I'll be doing arts and crafts with Quinn while Brooke does somersaults and Ruby destroys anything she can get her hands on?"

"Exactly." Katherine kissed me.

I laughed and we walked outside to my car. We got in and began driving.

-

"You good?" I asked Katherine as she laid on the doctors table with her shirt up and pants unbuttoned.

"I had a dream once that we fooled around on a table like this. Doctor came in and I woke up." Katherine told me.

"Okay, good to know." I blushed for some reason.

Katherine laughed. "Settle your knickers."

I pushed her hair back and the doctor came in.

"Mrs. O'Connor?"

"Yes." Katherine nodded. She bit down on her lip.

She was getting nervous.

"How are you? I'm Doctor Nells."

"Hi." I smiled.

"Says here that this will be your fourth? You had triplets?"

"Three girls."

"Must have your hands full." The doctor washed her hands and put on gloves, grabbing the tube of jelly.

"They are a handful at times." Katherine shrugged.

The doctor laughed and put the gel on Kat stomach. Kat held her breath and I tapped her shoulder. She held my hand.

The doctor turned on the machine and put the scope on Katherine's belly, pushing it around.

"We're going to be listening to the heartbeat first. You're going on five months?"

"I am five months. Going on six in three weeks." Katherine clarified.

The doctor nodded. "You found out late?"

"Yes."

The doctor pressed a button and the heartbeat filled the room. It sounded sturdy. My face broke out in a huge smile. Katherine didn't move. She simply stared at the ceiling, biting her lip. Our baby's heartbeat. Thumping hard and strong. I couldn't stop smiling.

The doctor switched on the monitor and showed us inside the uterus. Our baby was small,  just sitting. Not moving.

"It's not moving." Katherine finally said, tears in her eyes.

"It's okay, babe." I squeezed her limp hand.

"The baby is alive and its heartbeat is pretty sturdy." The doctor reassured her.

The doctor captured a few pictures and turned off the monitor. She told us she will send them digitally.

"Listen, I know you suffered the loss of a child once. But don't stress about it. Enjoy your pregnancy."

Katherine nodded and I wiped the gel off of her.

"If you stress your mind with the thoughts of losing this miracle, the baby will get stressed. Take each day slowly and around your seventh month, we're going to be looking for more time for you to relax. Stay off your feet and drink more chamomile tea."

Katherine gave the doctor a small smile.

"I'll go inform the secretary to make an appointment for next month and your prescription will be sent to the pharmacy. I'll see you two next month. Congratulations."

She ran out of the office and Katherine looked at me as I button her pants and pulled down her shirt.

"We're having a baby." She beamed.

"Fuck yeah we are." I kissed her.