7 Months Later

Katherine

Brian brought in the last box. It was labeled kitchen supplies. He placed it on the floor. I was hanging up paintings in our new living room. Our kids were on their play mat, playing with dolls.

"I have to leave in an hour to go with Alina to pick up Kaleb." I informed Brian. "I'm bringing the girls."

So here's what happened in the last seven months: I was on bed rest for about a month before I got clearance to go back to work. It was Dom and Brian that I chose to lead the team while I was gone. Every decision was consulted with me and I added my input. Things were working out well. Our girls began walking, one after the other, they turned one years old which was the most heart breaking thing. They're growing up so fast. We had a birthday party, princess themed. Kaleb went into rehab and he's doing really good. Alina moved into her own little house when Brian and I moved out and Kaleb will be living with her starting today. My mother is continuing her drinking and her and I are barely talking. Brian and I have been taking sign language classes and have been using the language any time we're around Ruby. She may only be one but she needs to get used to it and understand it.

"I'm going to finish the munchkins room." Brian told me.

I looked around the room. "It's a lot of boxes. And furniture is coming tomorrow. I also ordered these really cute lawn chairs for the pool."

"Why couldn't we just move the furniture we have? I really like it. Picked it out myself."

"This house is themed elegant. We need elegant style furniture. Duh." I replied.

"Furniture is furniture."

"You're house is painted blue, you're going to get red furniture or would you get blue themed furniture?" I looked at him.

He didn't reply.

"Exactly." I laughed. "I really like this house."

"It's a thirty minute longer drive to work."

"What do you have against this house?" I snapped.

"I don't have anything against this house. I just really liked the old one, ya know? It was comfortable. I had hiding spots for whenever you got angry and I wanted to avoid you."

"Avoid me?" I placed my hands on my hips. "I want you to remember that when I go to bed wearing sweats and a shirt, with a bra on and my hair in a ponytail. Just keep that in mind."

"Sorry, baby. It's a tradition of mine to break in new houses."

"Who was the lucky girl in the last house?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Well, I sort of slept there for the first night alone." Brian got sweaty.

"Who was it?"

"It was Cheryl."

"That's disgusting."

"You know I had been with her for a year when you came back."

"I was hoping and praying you didn't break it in with the evil Barbie doll. You're an animal. I'm so mad at you right now."

Brian dropped his jaw. "You're mad at me for dating a girl when you left me?"

"Tell me, did anything ever happen between you and Suki? Since we're talking about our past lovers."

"You wanted to talk about it." He pointed out. "And no. Nothing ever happened between me and Suki. She was more of Tej's girl."

"Mhm." I walked past him. "I don't believe it for a second."

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him. "If it makes you feel any better, you're the best I ever had."

I smiled and kissed him. "That's what every guy tells me."

Brian's face fell. "How many guys?"

I laughed and walked away. That'll give him something to mope about.

-

I left work really early because even with too many cups of coffee, I was drained and could barely function a knife so I got some rest and I feel better. ❤️

-Chicken Soup 🍜