Just Plain Katherine

Katherine

"Drink, love?" Mother asked, moving to her drinking cart.

"No. Thanks. Visited Kaleb yet?" I asked sitting at the table.

"Of course I did. Last night. You weren't there. Where were you?"

"Either arguing with Brian or killing the team that hurt Kay."

"I'll go with the latter." She sat down across from me at the table with her drink.

"Do you think me and Brian will last?" I asked her bluntly.

"Having doubts?" She sipped her drink. Probably whiskey and bourbon mixed.

"I mean, the things we say to each other in our arguments. I don't think that's healthy." I sighed. "I don't want to spend the rest of my life arguing with Brian and hurting each other feelings. Marriage is supposed to be about love and peace. Not World War thirty five. You and Dad never got into fights."

"That's because me and your dad had things that kept us sane. Me, my liquor. Your father, his smokes. But do you know what really kept us together? You and your brother, love. When we had you guys, our whole lives changed. Now, when I was pregnant and couldn't drink, I tried to pick fights with that man. But it was just the withdrawal and the hormones." Mother smiled slowly.

I began to feel nauseous again. I hope I'm not getting the flu.

"You and Brian are still new in the game. You will have time to build and grow. Right now, enjoy the arguing and then the good sex afterwards. The excitement is healthy." Ma waved her hand. "You guys will be okay."

I closed my eyes, feeling my world tip sideways.

"Love, you okay?" Ma asked.

"I'm fine. Just nauseous. Think I'm getting the flu?"

"Vomiting?"

"Yeah. Twice this morning. And the bacon was the reason." I nodded. "I fucking love bacon."

"You're pregnant." Mom told me.

I opened my eyes. "Huh?"

"Yes, love." Mom nodded. "You are knocked up. Bun in the oven. Sperm made a touchdown. Ball in the basket."

"I heard you. It's just...I'm not pregnant, dude." I shake my head. I stand quickly. "I'm leaving."

I felt my stomach churning and made a bee line to the bathroom. I threw up heavily in the toilet. My mom came up behind me.

"I'll go to CVS, darling, get you some tests. You stay here." Mom told me before running out.

I gave her a thumbs up and began vomiting again.

I heard the door close a few minutes later. I flushed the toilet and found the pack of unused toothbrushes and brushed my teeth. I sat back at the table.

Fuck. If I'm really pregnant...that's my life. No more missions, no more drinking and partying, no more sex! Holy fuck! Brian will look at me differently. I won't be his hot sexy Queen. I will be a trap. Will he think I trapped him? That wasn't my intention! I didn't even want kids to be honest. I wanted to live my fucking life with my fucking pain in the ass husband. A kid will take away our whole connection to each other. I've seen it in Shameless. Kev and V separated for half a season because of their kids! Holy fuck! And the team...I won't be apart of the team anymore. They wouldn't be able to rely on me anymore. Because let's face it, they are better with me on it. And Nobody, he will exile me from the company and I would have to work in fucking McDonald's. And all the while I wouldn't be Katherine Howard O'Connor the Queen. I will be Katherine. Just plain Katherine.

About ten minutes go by and my mom is still gone. I called her.

"Yes, honey?" Mom answered. "A curling wand? That sounds lovely."

"Mother, what are you doing?" I frowned.

"I'm at CVS." She replied.

"Are you getting the test."

"Oh that's right. I knew I came here for a reason. I'm a little tipsy. Hey, love, do you need a flat iron?" Mom asked.

"Mom, just get the fucking test!" I exclaimed.

"A woman can't look around. I'll be there soon."

"Mom, I'm freaking out. Please bring the tests. We can go back to CVS later for your other things." I sighed.

"On my way, love."