Sacrifice

Brian

A long siren rang out across the battlefield and it seemed like every French soldier came to a stop. Each and every one of their faces looked grave. I was confused but guarded, trying to figure out what the fuck was going on. Kaleb is dead.... my heart was shattering. Where's Alina? Where's Katherine? I heard nothing. Every soldier dropped their gun and began to form into a line, marching. I looked at a sweaty Dom and a disoriented Letty.

"Hey, team." It was Katherine's voice in my ear. "I guess I have to say goodbye now, huh?"

"Katherine, what the fuck are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm making a sacrifice for the greater good."

"Katherine, we have four babies at home that need you. I need you. We need you."

Katherine was quiet.

"If there's one thing this team has taught me, it's that certain bonds cannot be undone. I have kicked Brian's ass numerous of times and he and I are still here. I've bullied Letty, she's still my sister. I cracked down on Kaleb and..."

Her voice cracked.

"Certain bonds were meant to be broken. But the bond I share with you all was something greater than normal. My children are safe because of you all. I was able to live my intended life because of you all and I got to escape death because of you all. I lost my father, I lost my other father, I have no clue where my mother is, I lost my brother. I'm the only Howard left. And I intend to use my families legacy for the greater good."

She chuckled. I was really going crazy.

"I was never supposed to be happy. But I was supposed to be with you all. All along. I love each and every one of you. And Brian, my sweet love...Make sure Brooke doesn't sneak cookies at three in the morning. Make sure Quinn doesn't bite her fingernails and suck her thumb. Make sure Ruby always has her hearing aids in. And my boy...make sure he knows how much you love him. He's a sensitive one. And you, Brian. Make sure you don't fall into your own mind. Make sure you live as if I am not gone."

"KATHERINE!" Alina shouted. "ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ME!"

We saw Alina come from two boulders and began speeding to the compound which was way too far. The soldiers gathered in the building and the door closed.

"I love you bloody wankers, now and forever."

The mic went silent as Alina still ran as fast as she could. She was close to the building. And then there was no building. Just a loud noise and fire rising as the windows blew off, the roof, the doors. Blood was mixed in the mess as the explosions took over. Alina was thrown hundreds of feet away, her body seeming small. I couldn't think straight.

"Where's Katherine?" I asked.

The team looked stunned.

"WHERES MY WIFE?!" I screamed.

I began running towards the explosives, running as if the earth was crumbling beneath me. Maybe it was. I ran to Alina where she was on the ground, struggling to stand, coughing blood and her leg was on fire. I began to use my jacket to put her out, stomping on the flames. Her face was burned.

"Alina, where's Katherine?" I asked, grabbing her by the arms. It should've been her.

Alina was too busy nodding in and out.

"WHERE IS SHE?!" I shook her.

Why wasn't it her?

Alina raised a single finger towards the building and went limp in my arms. My heart stopped as the flames continued to engulf around the building. I began running towards it. I was begging that my beautiful wife was okay and this was a dream I'd wake from. I just needed the love of my life. I made it to the flames, the building but it was smokey. Where would Katherine be? Pools of blood, body parts...my head was spinning. Where is Katherine? I then remembered her screaming about a basement. A basement. Alarms was going off and I ran to the stairway, dropping my strap on gun to make my trip quicker and swifter. I bolted down the three flights of stairs and into a burning tunnel. There was a door to the right of me and there was flames to the left of me. I opened the door, more flames but not as much as the rest of the building. I searched around. There was a lot of blood.

"Brian, you have to get out of that building." Rome's voice came into my earpiece.

I ignored him. He doesn't know what it's like to have a wife that you'd die for...who you should've died for. I should've died for Katherine.

I found a piece of burning fabric on the floor and followed the trail. I saw her limp and obviously lifeless body laying a few feet from an exit. There was an exit? An exit? I immediately felt relief that she wasn't blown to pieces. There's hope. I grabbed her body and pushed the exit door open which wasn't easy. I had to walk up seven flights of stairs with my wife in my arms but I did. I did.