Chapter 1025

Meanwhile, at Gaffney Medical Center's University Campus
Natalie's POV: As me and Will waited outside for Jay to come and get Owen, sighed since I thought he would be here by now. Knowing I was probably getting stressed, I felt Will's hand on my back and turned to look at him. "Jay just texted me. He's a block away." I nodded and sighed. "You knew I was worried weren't you?" Will chuckled. "That and I am positive that Goodwin already knows we are late. At least this time it's not my fault." I agreed and smiled at him. "No, but it is your brother's fault."

That's when I heard Jay walk up. "There you guys are! I've been waiting for you near the entrance to the doctor's parking lot!" I then turned to look at Jay and smiled. "Oh, sorry. We parked here because it's closer to the ER and we have a parking pass." Jay nodded and smiled as he walked over to Owen. He then picked him up and went to tickle him. "You ready to go have some fun with your uncle Jay and aunt Erin?" I smiled when he did that because he likes to have fun with Owen whenever he can.

I then moved to give him his bag. "I have all the important information in there. Phone numbers, bedtime and all that." Jay then looked at me and nodded. "Natalie, I got it. I've been texting with Will since you asked us to watch him. It's all saved and I am going to put it in my calendar. I promise. This guy is going to be on his schedule. However, we might play a bit more than normal. After all, I need to practice being a dad." Will chuckled and nodded. "Of course." I then went to give Jay some books we bought him.

"We meant to give you these at Christmas but, you're going to want to read them." Jay then grabbed the bag of books and set Owen down. Looking in the bag, he read the titles. "The A-Z Guide to First-Time Fatherhood, the Guide to Childbirth and the Guide to Newborns (0-3 months)." Jay smiled when he looked at Will. "I promise to give these back to you when you are nearing your due date Natalie. Will's going to need to read them." Will then sighed. "No, I won't Jay because I am already a dad."

Jay sighed and looked at his older brother. "Will, you've only raised Owen since he was a toddler. You weren't there when he was a newborn and then a baby." Will nodded and agreed. "You're right. But listen, we need to go. Have a good night with uncle Jay and aunt Erin okay Owen?" Owen nodded and smiled at us. "Okay daddy." I then walked over to him and kissed his cheek. "Goodnight Owen." Owen smiled at me. "Night mommy." I then smiled as I let him go. Jay then turned around and walked away with Owen to go home. Turning to look at Will, I sighed.

"This will be great practice for him. If only Owen was still in diapers." I looked up at him and shook my head. "Not a chance. Now, let's get our masks on and get in there." Will nodded and agreed before grabbing his mask from his pocket and putting it on. I then grabbed his hand and led him inside the ER so that we could get to work. Walking in, I smiled at Maggie when we saw her. "Okay, you have to remind me. It's Dr. Manning and Dr. Halstead we call you right?" I nodded.

"Maggie, how long have we been married now?" Maggie chuckled. "I don't know, three weeks?" I sighed. "A month and a half. We got married the day after Veteran's Day." Maggie nodded. "Sorry, everything is such a blur recently." I nodded and smiled. "How's Auggie doing with his mom being at work so often?" Maggie sighed. "He's understanding it more. Ben has been a big help. I don't think he's gotten this much one-on-one time with him in a while." I nodded and agreed.

I then turned to look at Will and smiled. "Listen, we need to unpack. Let us know when the first victims get here?" Maggie nodded and agreed as me and Will walked away to go to the locker room. That's when he got a text from Jay. 'Just getting home now. Stay safe tonight.' Will smiled when he read the text. "Jay's home with Owen." I smiled when he said that and nodded. "One less thing to worry about." I then opened my locker and went to put my stuff away.

Once that was done, I went to grab my mask before looking at Will. "See you later for a meal or something?" Will nodded and smiled. Walking up to me, he gave me a quick kiss. "Stay safe." I then kissed him again before walking away to go start work.

Will's POV: Once Natalie left to go start work, I went to get myself ready and put my stuff in my locker. I was about to go out to the ER when I heard Goodwin come in. "Dr. Halstead, before you go can I ask you a favor?" I turned to look at her and nodded. "What can I do for you Mrs. Goodwin? By the way, I am surprised to see you here. Aren't you working from home?"

She nodded. "I'm supposed to be but, I prefer coming in. Now, I was hoping that you could work at McCormick Place for the shift. We are going to be needing a trauma surgeon there just in case people both have COVID and are required to have surgery." I bit my lip and was worried. "Mrs. Goodwin, I would but...I can't risk it. I'm sorry and I know this is defying an order but, please just hear me out before you write me up?"

Goodwin then walked in and nodded, giving me a moment. I sighed and looked at her. "Mrs. Goodwin, there is a reason I specifically requested that I never be placed there. I can't get COVID. If I give it to Owen, I will be dead because he's all Natalie has left of her late husband Jeff. Also, she's pregnant and so is my sister-in-law Erin. And I've already promised to be by their side if they need anything because they trust I will be safe when it comes to COVID."

Mrs. Goodwin nodded and understood. "Right, of course. I'm sorry Dr. Halstead." I sighed and looked at her. "Mrs. Goodwin, I am so sorry for this but...just promise you won't write me up for this? I really need this job with a baby on the way." She agreed and smiled. "Of course. Who do you think would be the best doctor to ask?" I thought about it and sighed. "Honestly, I am not sure Mrs. Goodwin. Maybe talk to Dr. Charles and see if he has any neuro doctors he can send over? I think we have too many here because we don't have my neuro cases right now."

Mrs. Goodwin thought about it and agreed. "A very good point Dr. Halstead. I will let you go now. Have a good shift and please do not worry about not taking any COVID cases. I will let it slide because I know about Natalie being pregnant. You both can stay away from those cases." I nodded. "Actually, aren't we sending them directly to McCormick Place if they are COVID?" Mrs. Goodwin nodded. "Sorry, just have a lot on my mind." I smiled. "If you need to talk Mrs. Goodwin, we are always ready to. We need to be here for each other right now."

Mrs. Goodwin nodded and smiled. "I will talk to Dr. Charles, we've been friends for a long time and it might be more appropriate considering I am your boss. Now, get to work and earn the money you need for the baby." I laughed and nodded. "Oh, about that...can I get some time off around Natalie's due date. I know it will be hard with two doctors out but, can you maybe start looking around now for a doctor to replace the both of us? I would like to take a bit of paternity leave when the baby's born. Well that and I am going to have to help with Owen."

Mrs. Goodwin nodded and agreed. "Of course, thanks for the heads up. I will start the search now and I will put the request in when Natalie is giving birth. Now, please get to work." I nodded and agreed, making my way out of the staff room and into the ER to get to work.

Note to readers: Please note that when I originally wrote this chapter, I meant for Owen to go to Jay & Erin's however, I wrote the subsequent chapters on another days and I completely forgot that Jay and Erin had him. So for the purposes of future chapters, Jay will have brought him to his grandmother Helen's house instead.