Chapter 1041

Meanwhile, back at the Firehouse

Severide's POV: As I walk around the firehouse, I come out to the kitchen to see Matt wearing some sweat pants as well as his work shirt while making himself a snack. "Someone looks comfortable." Matt then turned around and smiled at me. "Gabby's asleep and I plan on just slipping into bed like this when I'm done eating." I then saw him put some bread in the toaster while also grabbing some peanut butter. "So, how's the last shift of 2020 going?" Matt turned to look at me. "We have one more. We work on December 29th then New Year's Day."

I smirked at him. "I already took that day off. Stella did too." Matt smiled when I said that. "Let me guess, you're ending 2020 dating, starting 2021 engaged?" I laughed and nodded. "Honest opinion, is that a bad idea?" Matt shook his head and smiled. "I think it's exactly what we all need. We need something good to start 2021. And a wedding might be that." I smiled when he said that. "If she says yes, I expect you to be my best man. I don't care if I wasn't yours."

Matt chuckled and nodded when he finished putting the peanut butter away before eating. "Hey, isn't that Hermann's peanut butter?" Matt bit his lip and shrugged. "I'll just use the excuse that I haven't been here in a while because it's true." I laughed and smiled. "By the way, you know why I had to have Antonio as my best man. I wanted my family up there. And I needed him to hear the vows I recited to Gabby. Then he can hold me accountable for them."

I nodded and agreed. "I remember one of them. You promised that she is your home, not Chicago. That true man?" Matt sighed and bit his lip. "Severide, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. Listen, I get we are best friends and that you know I would love to stay here with you forever. But, I lost Gabby once because I didn't go with her on a mission trip. I am not making that mistake again. Plus, who knows when the mission trip might be. By then we might have 2 kids. And I know that I can't take care of 2 kids on my own."

I nodded and understood where he was coming from. "Between your job and then 2 kids, crazy. By the way, when is that starting and do you need a letter of recommendation?" Matt shook his head. "No, we've worked with this agency before. The lady knows us. Remember, Tina?" I nodded because I vaguely remembered her. "I think I gave her a letter of recommendation on Dawson's behalf." Matt smiled when I said that. "I swear, it should've been me. Biggest mistake."

I nodded and then went to put my hand on his shoulder. "Hey, stop beating yourself up about that. You've got your girl back forever. She's your wife again and now you have your own biological son. However, don't you dare think that I am not going to try and steal him from ambulance and bring him onto squad with me." Matt smiled when I said that. "Over my dead body. Sorry but, Matteo is staying safe either on ambulance or working at dispatch. He's going to be our only biological child unless we go through with surrogacy."

I smiled when he said that. "And what if he wants to be a cop like his uncle?" Matt stared at me. "Over my dead body again. Sorry but, that is not happening. He is already going to be at risk just for being biracial. Sorry but, I am not letting him get on the streets. That's unless he wants to work in intelligence. Then, I would love to see him there working with his uncle and probably...someday, his cousins." I chuckled. "Can you believe that your ex is having twins with your brother-in-law?"

Matt smiled. "And is about to be my sister-in-law?" I was shocked. "Wait, he proposed?" Matt nodded. "You are looking at the future best man at my brother-in-law and ex-girlfriend's wedding. Makes sense though, Gabby is going to be the maid of honor. Right when I heard that, I knew I was going to be best man. Ain't no other man walking my wife down the aisle." I laughed and agreed. "Same here. However, I am going to talk to Stella and try and convince her that her dad doesn't need to walk her down the aisle once I propose."

Matt smiled when I said that. "By the way, you hear any updates on Cruz and Chloe? Crazy that they are having triplets eh?" I nodded and agreed. "I just hope I get a good reliever." Matt nodded. "I wonder if Gabby would ever let me try out squad? You guys don't go into buildings. At least, maybe when Sylvie comes back?" I smiled when he said that. "How about first we train you for squad and see if you like that? However, I stay squad captain!"

Matt nodded. "You know, I pretty much feel like I am always on squad right now. I don't know if you've ever done a ride along but...I swear, the rush you get being a paramedic is so different than when you are fireman. It's also scary but so exhilarating. You have to work so fast and you can see what you do. I'm amazed at what I've been able to learn since I started. I mean, it's not like I'm starting our with no knowledge at all. I mean, I've been married to Gabby for a while now and Hallie was a medical resident." I chuckled and nodded.

"What are the odds are we literally have both dated a medical resident, a paramedic and a firefighter?" Matt chuckled and smiled. "That's true. Wait, who was the paramedic?" I sighed and looked at him. "I consider Shay my unofficial girlfriend. We had that type of relationship without the physical kisses and stuff. Plus, we almost went through with having a kid together. Does that make sense that I consider her one of my girlfriends?" Matt nodded.

"Definitely. I just hope you're okay with me and Gabby naming our daughter Elizabeth if we ever have a daughter." I smiled and nodded. "Elizabeth Casey sounds beautiful." Matt smiled when I said that until we heard Gabby come out. "That name does sound pretty nice. Elizabeth Marie sounds better." Matt then smiled when she came out. "Hey, did we wake you?" Gabby nodded. "I've been waiting for my pillow to come join me in bed."

Matt chuckled and smiled. "Then let me join you in bed then we can go to sleep." Gabby nodded and smiled while grabbing his hand. Matt then turned to look at me and smiled. "Night man." I then waived at them as they walked away to go to bed. I then sighed and thought about my plan to propose to Stella. I was done waiting. I'm doing it tomorrow morning before we leave.