Chapter 1066

Back with Matt & Gabby at their Apartment
Matt's POV: As I walk around the apartment, I smiled as I saw Gabby sleeping on the couch in the living room. She must be quite tired because for the past 10 minutes, I have been unpacking the groceries. That's when I decided to pick her up and bring her to bed so she could sleep somewhere that was much more comfortable. Gabby woke up when I picked her up in my arms and smiled as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I fell asleep on the couch didn't I?" I nodded and smiled as I went to carry her towards our bedroom. "Matteo's in the nursery."

Gabby nodded and smiled as she turned her head and looked at me. "Perfect, that means we can have some alone time in bed." I nodded and then kissed her softly while carrying her into our room. I then moved to lay her down in bed and smiled. "Yes, time where we can rest. Gabby, if you are tired...then rest." I then moved to grab the baby monitor from her side table and went to turn it on before walking over to my dresser. I then went to grab some sweats and smiled because I planned on joining Gabby in bed.

"You planning on joining me in bed or am I going to have to relax in bed alone?" I turned to look at her and smiled. "There is nowhere I would rather be than in bed with you right now, holding you in my arms as we relax together." Gabby smiled as I said that and then went to lay down more. "I mean it when I say relaxing. Feel tired." I nodded and agreed. "If you feel too tired to work tomorrow, then I can call chief." Gabby looked up at me. "We don't work tomorrow Matt, we work New Year's Eve."

I then remembered that it was only the 29th and nodded. "Sorry, guess I am just excited that we are going to be able to share a midnight kiss under the moonlight." Gabby looked up at me and smiled at that idea. "That sounds nice. But right now, I want to have a kiss with you in bed." I nodded and agreed before going to set my phone down on my charger. Once that was done, I moved to open the covers and then went to lay down in bed with her. 

Once I was laying down, I closed the covers again and brought Gabby close to me. Feeling her head on my shoulder and hand on my chest, I smiled as I went to grab her hand before turning my head to look down at her. Gabby smiled as she looked up into my eyes before moving her hand to the back of my head. She then brought my lips down to hers, kissing me softly before wrapping her arms around my torso. 

Rubbing her arm as we held each other close, I smiled as we looked at each other. "You tired?" She nodded and then rubbed my chest. "I wish I could say I was just comfortable...because I really am. But, I am still quite tired from the shift. I've been taking naps every once and a while. Even when we're sitting on the couch...I doze off while snuggling up to your chest for 30 minutes at a time. Still getting used to the shifts again."

I nodded and understood. "Maybe we should start heading to bed earlier when we have a shift the next day." Gabby nodded and agreed. I then moved to kiss her forehead softly before looking into her eyes again. "Is it just me or does everything just seem so perfect right now?" Gabby laughed and smiled as I said that. "That it does. No baby crying, nobody wanting to disturb us and nothing but me and my wonderful husband in an intimate moment."

I smiled when she said that and then leaned down to kiss her. Taking it slow with her, I then whispered to her. "Someone getting their second wind?" Gabby nodded and smiled as I moved to sit up a bit more since she was getting her second wind. Gabby then grabbed my hand and rubbed it as she slipped her legs in between mine. "So, how was the grocery shopping...you were gone longer than normal." I nodded. "That's because I ran into some people there."

Gabby chuckled and smiled. "Of course you did. You went to Target." I nodded. "I saw Hermann and his wife Cindy. Then, I ran into Stella and Severide, she says hi by the way." I nodded and smiled. "And then I ran into Antonio. He says hi too." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Weird...Chicago is such a big city on the maps but, it seems like such a small town when we keep running into the same people on a daily basis."

I chuckled and nodded. "That's because we have the same schedule when it comes to work. And when you have the same shifts...you are bound to want to shop at the same time too because it is when it's the quietest. However, I go while it's quietest for health reasons. Also, just wanted to tell you that Antonio said that Eva is okay with watching Matteo on New Year's Eve." I smiled when he said that. "Just curious, did you buy the chicken wings and the wine?"

I nodded and smiled. "Yes, but we aren't touching it until New Year's Eve. It's for the party at the Firehouse. But, I am going to love drinking that wine at midnight because I am going to be toasting the New Year with my beautiful wife by my side." Gabby smiled when I said that before nodding. "I just don't like the fact that we aren't going to ring in the New Year with Matteo." Matt then sighed when I said that and then nodded. "Maybe next year. Anyways, it's not like he's going to be awake that late anyways."

Gabby nodded and sighed. I then looked down at her and went to kiss her softly. "Gabby, talk to me. Are you having second thoughts about working on New Year's Eve? I know it's probably not likely but...if you want, I could try and talk to Boden about us possibly working on New Year's Day instead of New Year's Eve?" Gabby bit her lip when I said that and then whispered. "No, we should just keep the schedule. Anyways, I just thought of something that will be nice."

I was confused when she said that. "Oh, and what nice thing would that be?" Gabby then smiled. "Well, it's supposed be a clear sky that night. So, what do you think about us sharing a midnight kiss under the stars?"