Chapter 1032

Meanwhile, back at the firehouse:

Matt's POV: As me and Gabby sat in my office, I smiled as I wrapped my arm around her and felt her put her head on my shoulder. I then moved to kiss it softly as we took a minute alone. "I think this is the first time we've been in here since we started shift." Gabby chuckled and nodded. "Yes. But just stay quiet. I am not used to all the beeping and sirens yet." I smiled when she said that and felt her rub my chest. "So, what did you think about what Natalie said?"

Gabby laughed and smiled when I asked that. "It was a fun reminder of when we were still newly married. Wait, we were married by then right?" I nodded. "Gabby, you were back at work. We got married within 72 hours of Matteo's birth." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. I then moved my hand to my arm when I heard Severide walk into my office. "You guys have a better office then me again." I then sat up and looked at him. "Seriously man? It's my old office. I haven't changed. Hermann took the other office that they built."

Severide nodded as he went to sit down. "Remind me why you didn't take the opportunity to make that your new office?" I smiled at Gabby and then just rubbed her arm. "This is our spot. It's also where we made some memories." Gabby chuckled and smiled. "This firehouse has a lot of memories for us. You proposed to me here the first time." I nodded and smiled when she said that. "Just wish that proposal would've worked out. That was the one where we broke up." Gabby nodded and sighed when I said that. "Can we forget about that?"

I nodded and agreed, kissing her forehead softly. "Anyways, the proposal I did at the fire academy was way better." Gabby agreed and smiled before looking at Severide. "Just curious, did you know about it?" Severide nodded. "I let Matt into the fire academy with my key." I smiled when he said that. "That reminds me, we still haven't brought Matteo to the place where they keep all the badges. Someday, we'll have to do that so we can show him Andy's badge."

Severide then looked at me confused. "Why do you want to show him Andy's badge?" I smiled when he asked. "His full name is Matteo Andres Casey." Severide nodded. "And?" I laughed. "The name Andres is the spanish version of the name Andrew." Severide then understood. "Makes sense now. Uhm, I might let you guys go." Gabby then shook her head. "No, it's okay. We can get out of here. I want to spend time with you guys while we are here. Enough private time."

Gabby then went and got up, climbing on top of me before leaving. "Severide, talk to Matt for a while. We've been spending a lot of time together and he deserves to talk to his best friend for a bit." Severide then looked at me and nodded. "She isn't wrong." I laughed and smiled. "Sit down then man and close the door, I want to talk." He nodded and let Gabby leave before closing my door and coming to sit down on my chair. I then looked at him and smiled. "So, did you buy it?"

Severide then looked at me and nodded. He then went to grab his phone to show me a picture. "This is the one I bought." I grabbed his phone and looked at it. "Wow, when is this happening?" Severide sighed and put his phone away. "I have no clue. I was thinking Valentine's day but then it seems so cheesy to do it then. I mean, that's so typical for a boyfriend to propose that day. And we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day so...she would know that I'm going to propose."

I nodded and agreed. "Well, you could always ask me and Gabby to help. Gabby could take her out on a spa day...or not. Sorry, my proposal ideas are all around non-COVID." He laughed and nodded. "I'm not going to do it here considering your proposal here didn't lead to you getting married." I nodded and smiled at him. "Let me give you advice that Antonio gave me here though. Don't string her along. You've been together long enough that now, she's going to expect it. Plus, you deserve it man. I know you want what me and Gabby have."

Severide sighed and nodded. "The question is whether she wants it. I mean, sure we live together and stuff but...does she want the kids and stuff?" I looked at him and sighed. "Severide, does she make you happy?" Severide nodded. "Then take it from the guy who literally lost the love of his life because we had a fight over whether or not we would go ahead with having kids. Do you need kids to love her? Of course not! But, you should talk about it. Me and Gabby had those conversations. The kids talk, the job talk, the money talk and more. You need to have them. And if you aren't comfortable having those talks...then can I be honest?" Severide nodded.

I then sighed and looked at him. "Then Severide, if you aren't comfortable enough to have those talks with her then you shouldn't propose to her. Because that wouldn't be fair to her when you aren't even ready to do the work that needs to be done when you are getting married." Severide was about to yell at me but knew I was right. "Then how do I start those conversations?" I then thought about it. "Don't do it all at once. This has to come naturally and without getting her suspicious. If she's suspicious, then she'll expect it. You don't want that. You want her to be surprised." Kelly was surprised when I said that. 

"What would be so bad if she knew that the proposal was coming?"