Chapter 1042 (December 29, 2020)

The Next Morning with Severide
Severide's POV: As I walk through the halls of the firehouse, I feel my palms all sweaty and nervous because of the decision I made yesterday. I wanted to propose to Stella here, this morning before we leave. I didn't want to eat this year without her knowing that I want her to be my wife next year. This was the perfect time since we were all here. I just needed Matt's help. Walking up to his office, I look at him as he talks to Antonio. "Sure, we should be home in 20. Gabby's just taking a shower. So, can you guys stay a bit longer?"

I then heard him take a pause and was about to speak when he finished. "Thanks. See you in an hour." I then saw him hang up and was about to say something when he turned around and jumped. "Shit man, you scared me." I sighed and looked at him. That's when he noticed that I had the box in my hands. "Is that the ring?" I nodded and smiled, going to show her. "I want to do it today. I know it's quick but...it's all I've been thinking about all night. Between you saying not to string her along and the timing seems right."

Matt smiled when he said that. "The thing about you needing to start off 2021 right?" I nodded and smiled at him. "I know this is really fast but, I need your help." That's when I saw Gabby come in. "What do you need our help with and can it be quick since we have Matteo?" I then looked at her. "Think you can stay maybe an extra hour?" Gabby then turned to look at me. "Severide, I'm exhausted and want to go see Matteo before I go to sleep."

I sighed and looked at her before stepping into their office. I then closed the door behind me and went to grab the ring out of my jacket. I then opened the box and showed Gabby. Gabby then stared at me. "That for Stella? Wait, did you have those conversations already?" I sighed and shook my head. "I thought we could do them before we get married. I just thought...this year has been shit. I wanted to do something to make it end well for me and her. I mean, the last part of your guy's year has been amazing."

Matt then looked at Gabby and smiled. "It has hasn't it?" Gabby nodded and smiled as she wrapped her arm around his back. I then smiled at them. "We're going to be too busy to do this on the New Year's Eve shift. And, I wanted to do this before 2021. That way we can get married next year. So, can you be here when I do it? Maybe help me round everybody up?" Matt smiled and nodded. "Gabby, you go talk to the other ones. I am going to talk to Chief with Severide. We need to talk to him about getting his help. Need to start my best man duties." Gabby nodded and smiled. 

Matt then went to wrap his arm around me and smiled. "Let's go get Boden's permission so you don't get in trouble for this big romantic gesture. Oh, maybe you can do it in front of the Ottis memorial. That way all of our friends are a part of this." I turned to look at him and loved the idea. "Oh, that's totally what we are doing!" I chuckled and smiled when we heard Hermann walk over to us. "What are you doing?" 

I turned to look at him and smiled. "Hermann, you are looking at the next Firehouse 51 Groom." Hermann was a bit confused. I then went to show him the ring. "Stella, this morning. Ottis memorial. That way all of our friends are a part of it." He nodded and smiled. "Want me to spread the word?" I nodded and smiled. I then turned to look at Matt. "Call Sylvie and see if she wants to come okay? She'll want to be here too." I nodded and smiled.

"Let's go talk to Boden first." I agreed and smiled before making my way to Boden's office so that I could get his permission to propose to Stella.