Chapter 1059

Back at Gaffney Chicago Medical Center's University Campus:
Natalie's POV:
As I do another round on all of my patients, I smile as I walk into me and Will's joint patient. We decided to both work on him so he would get checked on twice per hour rather than just every hour. Things you do for your in-laws. Walking in, I looked at him as he reached for his water. "Need some help Sgt?" Hank sighed and nodded. "That would be amazing." I then nodded and went to give him his water, putting it close to him. I then went to check his stats and smiled. "You're already on the mend Hank. Maybe 2-3 more nights."

He nodded and sighed. "I am just glad to be alive. Now, how long until I can get back to the district after that?" I sighed and looked at him. "Once the bullet wound is healed. You are going to have a compromised immune system for a while so, you are going to have to stay home to keep you from getting COVID." I then went to update his charts when I saw Jay calling me. "Want to speak to Jay and Erin?" Hank nodded and smiled. I went to pick up first though.

"Okay, who am I speaking to? Jay or Erin." Jay laughed when I asked. "The ginger's brother." I laughed and smiled. "He's on the mend and doing better. He's awake and response." Jay liked the sound of that. "Good enough to have another quick visitor? I know it's against policy but...this one is a bit more personal. It's his biological family." I was confused...he had another kid. "Wait, he has siblings?" Jay sighed. "Nope, remember his son Justin? Well, he had a wife and son. They are in town."

I smiled when he said that. "Oh, his grandson and daughter-in-law are in town." Hank then looked at me. "Olive and Daniel are in town? Oh my god, that's great news. Means I can get out of here sooner since I'll have someone to take care of me!" I then looked at him and sighed. "Think we can do virtual? They are not letting anybody else in. The board wasn't too happy with the fact that we broke the rule for a doctor's in-laws. They pretty much yelled at Goodwin."

Jay sighed and understood. "Guess virtual is good enough. How long until we can get that set up?" I smiled. "Give me a minute and I'll call you back." I then went to hank up and looked at Hank. "You are going to have a virtual reunion for now. Let's hope they can stay in town for a while. You're going to need to recover." Hank nodded and agreed. Meanwhile, I went to get a tablet and look at Will. "You need that tablet? I need to set Voight up with a video chat."

Will sighed and nodded. "Erin want an update?" I shook my head. "Nope, his daughter-in-law and grandson want to talk to him." Will was confused. "Oh, Justin's wife and kid." I nodded and smiled. "So, tablet." Will then gave me it and nodded. "Owen should be done school in an hour. We going to call him then or are we going to wait until we are on break?" I bit my lip and thought about it. "Ask me again when he's done school. Depends on whether or not I am doing something. But, I would love to. Oh, can you also text Helen and ask how school's going?" 

Will nodded and smiled. "Of course. I know you need something to keep yourself grounded right now." I smiled when she said that before grabbing his hand. Quickly rubbing it, I then moved to walk back into Hank's room to set up the video call with Jay, Erin and Olive. Putting the tablet down on the table in front of him, I went to dial Jay's number. "Don't touch. These are also doctor's tablets." Hank nodded and waited for Olive to pop up on screen.

That's when Jay answered and smiled. "If it isn't grandpa." He laughed and smiled. "Just put me on with Olive and Daniel." Jay then moved to go just that. Hank then smiled when he saw Olive. "Olive, how are you and Daniel doing?" Olive just stared at him and sighed. "I've been worried out of my mind. What were you thinking? You know I asked you not to put yourself at risk Hank! You're all that Daniel has left of Justin. Please, you have to be more careful."

I looked at Hank and decided to let him be, giving him privacy to talk to his daughter-in-law.

Voight's POV:
After I started talking to Olive, I noticed that Natalie left to give me privacy with her. I was glad she did that because I knew from the tone of Olive's voice that I was going to get it. "I understand Olive. Still, I like to live on the edges. Need to keep up with the action if I want to keep my job. They keep trying to get me to retire. I'm not ready yet and neither are my replacements." Olive didn't like the sound of that. "You have a replacement and you haven't retired! You know I would like you to see Daniel more."

I sighed when she said that. "I need to wait at least another 2 years. Then, I will revisit retirement. Jay and Erin are going to be my replacement. Once their daughter is at least 18 months old, then I will consider retiring. Until then, I am staying at intelligence." Olive sighed and knew there was no changing my mind. "Fine, but it's your fault if you get shot and killed." I nodded and understood, knowing she was scared. "How was the travel?"

Olive sighed and nodded. "It went good. By the way, what's the prognosis. I haven't even asked that yet. Are you going to make a full recovery?" I nodded and smiled. "Yes, I will make a full recovery. So please Olive, relax. Now listen, I had a spare set of keys to my place in my drawer. How about you get either Jay or Erin to drive you there. You can stay there with me when I am out of the hospital. That way, I can spend time with Daniel and you can take care of me." Olive agreed and liked the sound of that.

"I was hoping that I could. I brought my work here so, I can stay as long as you need me. Oh, and Daniel isn't in school yet. Next year." I nodded and smiled. "Okay then. Listen, you guys get her to my place and get her to relax. Maybe even get her lunch. Have you guys eaten already Erin?" Erin nodded and smiled when I asked. "Yes, and it was delicious. Now, you get some rest and let me take care of Olive. I will call you later okay?" I nodded and agreed, hanging up.

I then smiled, glad that Olive and Daniel were there considering I haven't seen them in a while. That's when I saw Natalie walk back in. "What's good you in such a good mood? You weren't smiling this much just a few minutes ago." I chuckled and smiled. "Olive and Daniel are going to stay in town for a while. So, I am going to have time with my grandson. They are going to take care of me while I am recovering. Does that do anything to when I can be released?"

Natalie sighed and went to check my chart. "Let me go talk to Dr. Marcel and I will get some answers for you okay Voight? Maybe I can get him to come down and talk to you." I nodded and agreed, hoping that I could go home and be with my grandson. That's when it hit me. I'm going to have 2 grandkids by next summer. Never thought I'd say that this early in my life. Yet, it seems so right. Jay is the perfect husband for Erin and I am glad he's by her side right now.

I just hope that they are taking care of the unit while I am gone. Once I am at home and resting, I am going to be working remotely and there's nothing they can do about it. I am still their superior after all. However, I just need to remember that Erin is pregnant. Need to make sure nothing happens to that baby. Based on what I saw earlier today, I knew that Jay would be devastated if something happened to either Erin or their baby. Can't believe I'm saying this but, I love Halstead like my own son now.

However, he will never replace Justin. But, he's a close second. Now, just to get some food that isn't disgusting. I'm one of Chicago's finest. I better get the best damn meal this place has to offer. Pushing my button, I wait for the nurse to come so that I could order some food.