Chapter 1026

Back with Matt & Gabby as they arrive at Firehouse 51
Matt's POV: As I finish parking our car, I turned to look at Gabby and smiled at her. "You ready for this?" Gabby nodded and smiled before leaning over to kiss me. "We got this. We're in this together and we have nothing to worry about." I agreed and smiled before going to get out together. I then went to grab my bag in the backseat before waiting for Gabby to walk over. Once she walked over to me, I grabbed her hand and intertwined our fingers. "Still like my white shirt?" Gabby laughed and smiled. "Always will, it brings out your eyes."

I nodded and smiled as I rubbed her hand with my thumb when we saw the second ambulance make it's way into the garage. Walking in, I smiled when we saw Gianna come out with her paramedic partner. "Giana!" I yelled when I saw her about to go outside. Gianna then turned to look at us and smiled. "Hey, glad to finally see you guys. Sorry I don't really interact with the other crew much. Busy times." Gabby nodded and agreed. "You staying safe?" She smiled and nodded. "Of course. Now, are we going to hug or stay away?"

I sighed. "We need to think about Matteo. So, I would like to talk to you about possibly splitting up the calls? Can you take whatever calls when we're gone and the COVID calls? It's already been in our family and we would like to keep it out of our home. I don't want to bring it home to Matteo." She nodded and agreed. "Oh, of course. Now, how are we parking the ambulance? Do you want to use a certain one to protect yourselves even more against COVID?" Gabby thought about it and shook her head. "It's okay, we can use whatever one."

I nodded and agreed. "Okay then. Let's get inside, I can sign us in and then we can talk to our friends. Oh, are you using the PIC office tonight Gianna?" Gianna smiled. "It's all yours. I heard you guys were coming in and decided to leave it for you guys since I Knew you would want to sleep together tonight. Plus, that way you are isolated a bit more from the other staff." That's when we heard the alarms go off. "Ambulance 51A, 5968 James St." Gianna then ran away to go get in the ambulance and drive away. I then laughed at Gabby as we kept walking in.

Once we walked in, we saw everybody sitting at the tables and playing cards. "What game you playing?" Hermann then turned to look at me. "Hey guys, what are you doing here?" I smiled as we walked in. "We need extra tonight. There's a pileup remember?" Hermann nodded and agreed. "There's going to be more tonight. It's really busy out there. God, the traffic was horrible. Oh, and you seriously should've warned me about how bad the steering was when you left Truck." I sighed and knew what he was talking about.

Gabby then rubbed my back and smiled. "Listen, you sit and talk with the guys. I am going to go put our bags in our office. Just make sure you get a chair where we can sit together." I agreed and smiled before giving her my bags. I then moved to walk around the table and grabbed a chair where Gabby could easily sit on my lap before looking at Severide and Stella. I smiled at them. "How long until we hear wedding bells between the two of you?" Severide chuckled.

"Calm down. I want to wait until this all finishes. I am not doing a courthouse wedding like you guys." I nodded and agreed before looking at Stella. "How's your family doing Stella? I thought I heard you tell Gabby that your aunt has COVID." Stella sighed and nodded. "She's on a breathing machine in Hospital. So far so good." I nodded and agreed. Severide then looked at my shirt. "Dude, you're wearing your white shirt. That allowed?" I chuckled and nodded. "I still have my rank so, yes. Hermann may be captain of Truck 81 but, I am still more senior than him."

Hermann was confused when I said that. "How exactly?" I smiled at him. "I made captain first and served as captain for longer than you've been serving as captain. So, I will still always be more senior than you in the CFD." Hermann agreed and smiled. That's when I heard Mouch speak up. "However, your seniority in the ranks as a firefighter no longer exists. Your seniority has been transferred to paramedic seniority which is independent." I agreed and smiled.

"Okay, then that means you are now the most senior CFD employee behind Boden here at the house Hermann." Hermann chuckled and nodded. "Even higher than Severide?" Severide nodded. "You get first pick on vacation so, yes." Hermann chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm not taking one for a while. Need to stay around here to help out during COVID. Have no plans on taking the family anywhere until at least this summer. I just hope it clears up by then."

I agreed and smiled. "Wouldn't mind taking a fishing trip with the boys. Also, it would be nice to have an outdoor vow renewal with Gabby. Still need to give her a real wedding. I owe her that twice over now." Hermann chuckled. "Tell me about it. First time, you marry her in the courthouse. Second time, it's an impromptu wedding at the chapel. By the way, what led to the quick wedding there? I was happy you were getting married but, I never understood what the rush was." I sighed and turned to look at Gabby when I heard her come out.

"It's okay Matt, you can tell them. I am going to do inventory on the ambulance." I sighed and nodded as she walked over to me. I then grabbed her hand and rubbed it. "You sure you don't want to keep it between us?" Gabby shook her head and then leaned down to kiss me softly. "Come out to the ambulance when you're done." I agreed and nodded while letting her go.