14

He knew that there was something missing from his memory since he came back from abroad six months ago.

But the harder he tried to remember, the more he couldn't. It was like he refused to remember the traumatic event that happened. 

What was worse was that he even forgot his childhood memories.

Lan Wangji was a child to an old, rich and prominent family with enemies everywhere. To make sure that he and his brother were safe, their parents sent them to their maternal grandparents' family abroad. They lived with their grandparents starting from when he was five years old, until he finished his double PhD at eighteen years old. He was a prodigy in understanding human's minds and behaviour, and that's why he didn't particularly like to get close to them since he understood the darkness in their hearts.

But why did it feel like there was something missing in his soul?

He remembered that he was working on an important case back then, but his brain seemed to shut down when he tried to remember.

He had been thinking that he had to go back to where it all happened before he could move on with his life, but first he had to solve the problems here with his brother's nanotech's theft. And he was still a guest professor at the Cloud Recess University.

The next problem was, ever since he had that almost-episode in front of his best friend, Hua Cheng seemed to have free time to hover around him, making him feel like a child who needed to be supervised. 
He preferred to be alone most of the time, so when Hua Cheng did not come back to his own home for the second day, he knew what's going on.

"You act like a mother hen, do you know that?" 

Lan Wangji did not even bother to hide his irritated tone,but Hua Cheng only laughed and lay down on the couch.

"I want to drink your expensive tea and eat your expensive food. Is that wrong?" He then looked at Xiao Xingchen, who knew something must be going on between his Young Master and his best friend. "Cook something expensive for me, Xingchen, I want to live like your Young Master here for a while."

Lan Wangji only massaged his temple.

"I really can't with you, Hua Cheng."

Hua Cheng only laughed.

Luo Binghe was working out his sweat in his private gym when he sensed the murderous intent from his back. He dodged quickly before the knives pierced the sandbag he used and ripped it apart.

"Liu Qingge," he sighed, "must you always try to kill me everytime we meet? Can't you just greet me like a normal person?" He looked at his newly bought sandbag forlornly, the third one this month. At this rate of consumption, he thought it would probably best if he invested in a sandbag making factory.

"Luo Binghe, this is how I greet my friend." He scoffed and took his knives back. "Others won't be alive long enough to be friends with me." He poked the sandbag with the back of his knife. 

"That's not how you greet Shizun, or Wei Wuxian."

"It's different." He smirked. "Now, are you going to whine all day or show me your stuff and let me work my magic?"

Luo Binghe only sighed and took Liu Qingge to see the car that he kept at his private garage.

"Why did you mention Wei Wuxian? Is he somehow still alive?" Suddenly Liu Qingge stopped and asked Luo Binghe the question.

Liu Qingge was close friends with Shen Qingqiu and Wei Wuxian. They all had the same hot headed temperament, brilliant instinct, and crazy ideas. Somehow, Luo Binghe deducted that their attachments to each other were based on the fact that they spoke in the same crazy language although in different specialties. Or to simply put, they understood and accepted each other as they were. So when Wei Wuxian was lost six months ago, both Shen Qingqiu and Liu Qingge were kind of also lost.

"It's a long story and I will let him tell you himself. He'll be here later, after school." Luo Binghe couldn't help it, he wanted Liu Qingge to throw a tantrum, but to his disappointment, Liu Qingge only nodded and started to examine the Lamborghini Sian in the flashy gold color.

"I wonder how much money you burn for this shit." Liu Qingge shook his head in disgust. "I mean… gold? Really?"

"That's Wei Wuxian's spoil of war, not mine." 

"Mm, I think this used to belong to that Jin boy." Liu Qingge chuckled. "He sure would retaliate in a few days. That boy is fucking crazy, painting this masterpiece in shit gold." He took the key from Luo Binghe's hand. "I'll make this better in no time."

The only thing Wei Wuxian hated in this world was injustice.

That, and school. Especially physics. And chinese calligraphy. 

Physics, he never cared for. 

But this… 

Sure he could speak chinese okay, but since he had never actually been in China for like ever , before his reincarnation, he could not write the characters. 
He could read just fine, the basics. But writing? Uhm...

So when the assignment on ancient chinese poetry was given to him by his teacher, he had no choice other than to go to the library.

The library at his school was very extensive. 

The founder of the school was a renowned scholar who was very enthusiastic in all forms of ancient chinese arts and everything. So, they had one huge building which housed all the ancient collections of poetries, poems, books, scrolls, everything. It was even rumored that the forbidden third floor contained weapons, artifacts, and secret martial arts scrolls. But no one was allowed there unless you had explicit permission and passed the screenings.

And that was where he was going. The first two floors, not the third.

The thing was, Mianmian was supposed to go with him, but something came up and he had to go by himself. Since he never went to the library like, ever , he had to ask for directions a couple of times to his senpai. And if the first two senpai had actually given him directions instead of ogling him, he would have gotten to the so-called library much sooner.

Ah, it really was a sin to be this beautiful…

He flipped his silver hair and said thanks to the third senpai, who flustered after he said his thanks before he entered the massive ancient style building.

As soon as he entered the building, it was like he was being transported to another time. Ancient time.
There was a faint sound of zither playing in the background, and the sound of moving water nearby. But there was no one around.

Wei Wuxian walked around in curiosity. That and the need to find the necessary books for his assignment.
But, Wei Wuxian's curiosity had always gotten the best of him, so instead of looking for ancient chinese poetry books, he followed the sound of the zither to the gazebo in the middle of the lotus pond.

The sound of melancholic zither became much more clearer when he walked closer, and the song that was being played was… nostalgic. Wei Wuxian felt like he had heard that song before. 

It was so sad, and longing, it made him unconsciously stopped in his tracks. 

His feet were laden with yearning, so did his heart. 

He knew this song, but where did he hear it?

He was so absorbed in his own memories, he didn't even realize that the sound of zither had stopped, and the person who played it looked at his direction with a cold, yet curious gaze.

"What are you doing here?"