48

The dark basement was lit by the faint glow of climate control from the wine cellar, when Butler Zhao entered the secret room by scanning his retina and palm. His face was showing concern, and when Chen Yu looked at him, he paused what he was doing.

"Chen Yu, his earrings were turning grey. We don't have much time left. Is there still no news from A-Xiang?"

"No, grandpa. I still can't contact auntie Xiang. I'm afraid that maybe…" Chen Yu lowered his eyes, avoiding to see his grandfather.

"A-Xiang is a tough woman, I'm sure she's laying low… somewhere…"

"I really do hope so, grandpa, for the sake of little Momo too." Chen Yu sighed.

The truth was, Butler Zhao and Chen Yu were not just ordinary workers in the mansion. Butler Zhao's real name was Li Zhao and he was Mo Xiang's biological father and Mo Xuanyu's biological grandfather. Mo Xiang's mother met him when she was abused badly by her husband, and admitted to the hospital. He was just a lowly intern back then, but they fell in love and she got pregnant with Mo Xiang. But since she was frail from the long term abuse, she died shortly after giving birth to Mo Xiang and he didn't know about his daughter's existence until later in his life when he became a successful doctor and had a family on his own, but still could not forget his first love. 

Their first meeting was purely coincidental, since Mo Xiang was pregnant but she carried the hemophilia genes, and since he was an expert in rare disease, she was referred to him. 

He was so stunned the first time he saw Mo Xiang. She was a mirror image of her mother. He confirmed his suspicion later when he secretly tested their DNA and it turned out that she was his daughter after all. He tried to get closer to Mo Xiang and when she was comfortable enough to tell him about her life, he learnt that her name was given by her mother, and it meant 'miss you', because she missed someone that she loved dearly to the point that she was willing to sacrifice her life to give birth to his daughter. Mo Xiang told him because she found her mother's diary and that she was still in love with the man that saved her that night.
Li Zhao almost went berserk when he found out about it all, and finally he told Mo Xiang that he was her father, and showed her the DNA test's result.

Mo Xiang, whose life was not further away from her mother, being abused by her brother, sister-in-law, and father, being swooped away by Jin Guangshan with nothing but sweet lies, got pregnant with his child, but she still held on to hope. And hope came in the form of her biological father, Li Zhao.

Li Zhao immediately took action when he heard about Mo Xiang's condition. He threatened to sue Jin Guangshan if he didn't give Mo Xiang support, and after the baby was born, he took care of Mo Xuanyu while he sent Mo Xiang back to university. His own wife had died and his daughter was living abroad with her husband and children, so he was alone anyway. Until one day Chen Yu, his grandson who was researching in the Artificial Intelligence field, came back and wanted to take care of him. And found out that his grandpa had another grandson, who was disguised as a girl. 

First, he was so astonished seeing his grandpa pretending to be a butler, but soon he was interested enough to join the facade, and even built the underground lab to research more about his step-cousin's disease. He succeeded in making the nanobots using his resources and knowledge, and it helped a lot with Mo Xuanyu's condition. 

But the nanobots had their limits.

Mo Xiang, now also a scientist and researcher in the biotech field, together with Chen Yu, were the ones who treated Mo Xuanyu with a combination of traditional medicine and the nanobots to quickly repair whatever injuries he had, to prevent the quick blood loss that would lead to his death. It didn't help that Mo Xuanyu was prone to bullying that left many open wounds that required the nanobots to work hard. But it too, had its limit. They needed to find something else fast if they wanted to prolong their beloved's life beyond the expiry date that had passed almost two years ago.