Chapter 1

ROXIE'S POV:
It's adoption day today so that means we all have to wear a white blouse with a black dress over the top, white socks that go up to our knees and we have to have our hair in plaits. I have crazy frizzy hair that takes hours to sort out meaning I had to set my alarm for 5:30 am so I have time to get myself and all the other kids ready before Mr. Richard wakes up. He's never happy and he makes it very clear several times a day he only fosters us for the money. He has only ever liked one child. A little girl named Thea. She was four and she was beautiful and kind and the best person ever so she was adopted so fast meaning Mr. Richard was angry so took it out on us. He doesn't usually hurt the little kids and seeing as I'm the oldest I am the allocated punching bag.

Anyway, I roll out of bed slowly shivering slightly and my feet hit the cold wooden floorboards and make my way over to my tiny mirror. I sit on the floor balancing the mirror against the wall as I try to tackle the curls but it's useless. I brush it and brush it but it gets more and more frizzy. I slam my brush on my bed in anger and try to tie it in pigtails. I secure the bobbles and stand up getting changed and checking my phone quickly to see how long I have to get the kids ready. One hour. Great.

~ One hour time skip ~

I sigh as I help all eight kids down the stairs all dressed smartly. "Get in order of age now" Mr. Richard barks before opening the door and letting some excited-looking adults in. Addi is the youngest and she's three years old and looks adorable in her mini dress with pigtails so everyone coos over her first. Obviously, I get disregarded but it doesn't surprise me seen as nobody wants a teenager. The adults coo over all the children for hours leaving me out completely so I decided to grab my phone and go for a walk. Mr. Richard stops me before I can leave. "Where do you think you're going?" he asks me. "For a walk. Nobody wants me anyway" I answer sadly. He smiles at me "You're right there. Nobody wants you. You were dumped like the little piece of trash you are" he taunts as I walk away grabbing my coat. I walk to the nearest park before sitting down on a bench and starting to cry. I don't even know why I'm crying. It always happens on adoption day though when I realize that my thoughts are correct. Nobody wants me.

LIZZIE'S POV:
"Thanks, Scar!" I call as I get in my car to go grab some coffee as we've finished filming early. I arrive at the coffee shop and am walking down the path when a little girl catches my attention. I glance over at her and see she's crying but trying to hide it. She looks as if she's in school uniform but I check the time and it's only about half past ten so she would be in school, wouldn't she? I debate about going over to her and eventually decide to go check and see if she's okay. I sit on the bench next to her. "Hey," I say softly. She doesn't look up but keeps crying into her hands. She mustn't have heard me. I go to tap her but she flinches. Hard. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you jump," I say to her as she looks up her eyes red and puffy. She sniffs and then looks back down at the ground. "You want to tell me your name? I'm Elizabeth." She keeps her eyes on the ground and I hear her mumble "I'm Roxie". I smile knowing she trusts me with her name. Should I ask her why she's crying? "Honey, can you tell me what you're doing out here by yourself?" I ask her carefully choosing my words so she doesn't get scared. She only looks about ten. She's so small and she looks as if she hasn't eaten properly in ages. "Why do you care?" She snaps. I'm slightly taken aback but then remember she's emotional so I let it slide. "Well, I'm just thinking you look young..." "Well before you ask, I have no parents so nobody cares that I'm out here anyway!" She looks angry but I have a feeling the anger is directed at somebody else, not me. "Do you want to get a coffee? It's chilly out here" I offer and she looks up at me confused. "We don't have to its just..." I start but trail off. It's the way she's looking at me. I don't know what it is I just want to pull her in and hug her and tell her she's going to be okay. "I mean sure it's not like I'll stay warm out here" She shrugs and follows me into the coffee shop.