Chapter 63

~Brielle's POV~
I looked at Alyssa with tears in my eyes.
I noticed Skylar on the steps, watching us.

"Mama?" Skylar asked, coming down the stairs.
"Yea princess?" I asked, my voice breaking.
Then my phone rang, it was my dad. I went into the laundry room. Skylar followed me.

I cleared my throat and answered the phone.
Brielle: hello?
Kelly: hey Bri, Vanmeeter wants to see if you can join us on a case? You think you can go? I understand if i don't want-
Brielle: I'll come.

"Mama can I come? Please?" Skylar asked me.
I looked down at her, wondering if I could. But I just didn't want to be with Alyssa right now.

Brielle: dad, can I take Skylar with me?
Kelly: yea sure. Just gotta watch her. We're just gonna be here, reviewing files and fill you in.

Brielle: ok, I'll um.. I'll head over to OFI now.
Kelly: Bri you ok? Why is your voice cracking? Are you crying?
Brielle: no I'm ok, I was eating before and some water went down the wrong pipe.

I hung up the phone. I was tearing up from the argument with Alyssa. I took a deep breath and rubbed my face.
"Why Mama crying?" Skylar asked me. I wiped my tears.

"Nothing princess, come here, let's get shoes on." I said. Pointing to the mudroom. I got hers and my shoes on, and our jackets on.

I went inside to get my car keys and Skylar's bag that had some toys for her.
"Where are you going?" Alyssa asked me.
"OFI. Taking Skylar." I said blankly. And quickly left.

I got Skylar in the car and drove to OFI.
"Mama, where's mommy and Cam?" Skylar asked.
"They're not coming, baby. We're gonna go to OFI right now ok?" I asked her.

"What's that?" She asked.
"It's like... a police station, but for fire." I said, not knowing how to explain it to her.

The whole ride there I was so stressed and kept thinking about the argument with Alyssa. Did she really mean what she said? Or was she just stressed? Is this the end of our marriage? My mind was racing everywhere.

"Mama? Why was Mommy screaming?" Skylar asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.
Alyssa never raises her voice unless she has to discipline or is arguing with someone. But she has never yelled at me or the kids. She's raised her voice at the kids, but I'm usually the disciplinary.
"Mommy was... just upset ok?" I said.

We got to OFI.
I got Skylar out and I was still stressed. I looked at myself in the mirror, and you could see it in my face that something was up. I took a deep breath before getting out of the car.

I got Skylar's little bag and carried her on my hip.
"Hey Brielle! Glad you could finally come back!" Vanmeeter shook my hand.

"Good to be back." I smiled.
"Who is this?" Seager smiled at Skylar.
"This is my daughter, Skylar." I said.

"How old are you?" Seager asked Skylar.
Skylar put up 2 of her little fingers.
"So what are we working on?" I asked.
"You wanna sit her at a desk first?" My dad asked.

"Come here Sky, look, wanna draw?" I asked, taking out some paper from a printer and some crayons she had in her bag.
I got her situated and we talked about the case.

"So.. what are we working on?" I asked everyone.
"It's a restaurant fire." My dad said, showing me the whiteboard with all the info.