Episode 24: Fear factor

Our episode opens up with Spike arriving at Bulk's sushi spot, with Spike sitting at the table followed by Bulk asking Spike why he isn't hanging out with his samurai friends. Spike tells his uncle that he had a rough day today, followed by cutting to the samurai rangers fighting marauders. we then cut back to Bulk's sushi spot where Bulk tries to cheer up Spike by serving him some of his famous sushi, followed by Spike freaking out telling his uncle to get that away from him, followed by cutting back to the rangers finishing off the marauders with an elemental slash. we then cut back to Bulk asking his nephew what has gotten into him as sushi is Spike's favorite food, followed by Spike having flashbacks to the previous episode where he got swapped with a piece of sushi and almost got eaten by a cat. Spike then hears his morpher go off and is contacted by sensei who asks Spike why he isn't with the rangers fighting the Akuma, however Spike doesn't answer and ignores sensei's voice message much to sensei's frustration. after that, we cut to Akuma palace where we see Serrator ask permission from lord Ashura to go after the last surviving heir to the Shiba clan himself (which makes Deker jealous), promising that he'll gather more human misery than he'll ever need to restore what was lost (AKA his body). lord Ashura agrees and sends Serrator to the surface world, followed by Octomancer asking lord Ashura why he sent Serrator in spite of being well aware that he cannot be trusted, and lord Ashura explains that he sent him on a suicide mission, knowing that when he crosses paths with the samurai rangers he doesn't stand a chance. we then cut to the samurai rangers arriving at Bulk's sushi spot and ask Bulk what's wrong with Spike, whom of which is sitting in the corner curled up into a fetal position. Bulk explains to the others that for some reason he's now terrified of sushi (which makes Oscar giggle only to be elbowed by Nigel), which prompts Kenji and the others to drag him back to the dojo. after that, sensei asks Spike why he hasn't answered his morpher. Spike explains to the others that when switcheroo switched his body with a piece of sushi, a cat tried to eat him which is why he has a fear of sushi now, going as far as to say that the age of the gold ranger is over. sensei then places his hand on Spike's shoulder and assures that he'll help him conquer his fears. we then cut to a montage of sensei teaching Spike how to overcome his fears by handing the rangers each of the things they're afraid of: Ava's fear is frogs, Sadie's fear is spiders, Oscar's is clowns, and Nigel's fear is cacti (he accidentally sat on one as a child). sensei then asks Kenji what he's afraid of, causing Kenji to have childhood flashbacks to him overhearing his uncle Nobu's discussion with grandpa Mako about how Kenji must never learn of what he really is. Kenji then responds by muttering "the truth" which perplexes Spike and the others while worrying sensei. however a gap sensor goes off prompting the five core rangers to morph and head off on their samurai cycles while Spike hesitates, followed by sensei comically shoving a piece of sushi into his mouth before telling him that he needs his help on a pet project of his: the lanternzord, sensei holding up the still-incomplete zord. we then cut to the rangers arriving at the scene of a croclam attack before hopping off their cycles to charge at the croclams before lightning strikes signaling the arrival of Serrator in the human world. he introduces himself explaining that he was lord Ashura's second-in-command during the days of the fateful war before his boss turned on him and sealed him in stone, however thanks to prince Deker he has revived once more to wreak havoc on the human world. Sadie recognizes him from Nocturna's dream and warns Kenji that he's no ordinary Akuma but Nocturna's father. Serrator proceeds to mop the floor with the rangers before we cut to a montage of Spike and sensei working on the lanternzord until it is finally finished before we cut back to the rangers getting smacked around like ragdolls by Serrator, not even an elemental slash can phase him. Serrator then summons his own creation, the Akumazord, prompting Kenji to go super samurai and summon the spirit eagle megazord which gets defeated pretty easily by the Akumazord. the rangers are all knocked out cold, however lucky for them Spike arrives on his samurai cycle with lanternzord in hand, hopping off his bike to fight Serrator one-on-one before he retreats back into the netherworld. the megazord gets back on its feet to fight off the Akumazord before Spike uses his symbol power to make the lanternzord grow (cue shinkenger episode 28 megazord fight) followed by the lanternzord's disc getting stuck and Spike telling Kenji to hit it in the butt. the megazord does causing it to fire a million discs at the Akumazord destroying it. after that, our episode ends with the rangers celebrating Spike's mastering of his fears by eating at Bulk's sushi spot.